chapter thirty // belonging.

Gracey's POV

I awoke the next morning with sunlight seeping through my windows. The golden light blinded my eyes as it flooded my room. I checked my alarm clock; I had actually woken up on time. I could hear the playful voices of Christian and Adrien as well as the heavy footsteps of Melody chasing after them. "Where is Gracey!? Foolish girl, she needs to wake up much earlier." Her angry voice echoed through the halls.

I quickly got dressed and sprinted down the staircase, narrowly avoiding the stair I usually slip on. Today was going to be a good day; I could feel it.

Finally, I spotted the one I was looking for; the man I loved. I dashed over to him, the sound of my shoes echoed, clicking on the hard marble floors. Niall turned around, his smile holding the natural charm it always did.

"Good morning, beautiful," He took my hand and spun me around before pulling me in for a kiss.

"Morning, handsome." I smiled.

As of late, I had been eating every meal with the Royal Family; they had taken me in as if I was a part of their family. I felt happier than I had in a while. Ever since my mum died, I never really felt like I had much of a family; Reeja was the closest I had to family. But now, I feel a sense of belonging.

Adrien and Christian ran up to me and immediately began recounting their dreams to me—a routine that we've established for every morning. Christian talked of fighting dragons and saving the damsel in distress, RK, as well as being deemed the most reliable knight in the country. Adrien, on the other hand, spoke of every person he knew being turned into an alligator, who then held a tea party every Thursday. Remind me to ask Juliet what she's been putting in his food.

I took a seat next to Niall and dug into the blueberry pancakes sitting on the plate in front of me. I relished every second with Niall's family; everyone spoke to each other so lovingly and they seemed to cherish every memory they had together.

Eventually, everyone disbanded; Niall, Greg, and Bobby had meetings to attend and I was left alone with the Queen. "Gracey, I'd like to talk to you for a moment — if that's okay," She spoke suddenly. "Melody, would you be a dear and watch Adrien and Christian for a moment?" Melody managed to hold in a scowl and took the young princes out of the room.

I felt my heart pounding in my chest; did I do something wrong? Did she find out about my sneaking off with Niall rather than watching the boys?

"Relax, you're not in trouble!" Kaitlyn laughed when she saw my tense stature. "I just wanted to have a little chat, I feel like we never talk."

I laughed, trying to ease my nerves. I wasn't quite sure what to say. She smiled and we walked into the courtyard. I smiled to myself when I thought of my and Niall's daily walks. Thankfully the weather was sunny and surprisingly warm so I didn't need a jacket.

    "I wanted to thank you," Kaitlyn began. "You have been one of the best things to happen to this palace; I know Adrien and Christian can be a pain in the neck, but I've seen them grow so much in the little time you've been here. Not to mention, Niall has been the happiest I've ever seen you since you came."

    I didn't know what to say. This family had made such a big difference in my life, but I didn't think I would ever make a difference in theirs. "Oh, Kaitlyn, I don't even know where to start! Your family has saved me at my lowest point in life, I've been meaning to thank you." Though I felt comfortable around her, there was still a part of me that was utterly terrified to talk about my family life.

    She hugged me and we continued walking around the courtyard.

    " . . . Gracey, I want you to know that if you're ever having a hard time, you can tell us." Kaitlyn started. "Niall told me that he noticed you were upset. You can tell either of us when something is wrong; you're safe here."

    I smiled. "Thank you, it means a lot . . ." I trailed off. I had forgotten about it. I had been too distracted to remember.

    Melody. That mystery woman. Whatever they were planning didn't sound good. The meeting was only in a couple of days and I was scared out of my mind.

    I debated whether I should tell her or not. "Actually, there is something I need to tell you . . ."

    "Your Majesty!" The king's servant interrupted. I jumped, not expecting him to be there. "The king requests your presence, the next meeting is being held."

    "Thank you, Timothy, I'll be there in a moment." She responded, and Timothy promptly returned to the palace. "Now, what was it you wanted to tell me?"

    "Oh, it's nothing important! Go on to your meeting, I don't want to keep you away." I decided it would be best to wait till I attended Melody's meeting; I might have misunderstood and I didn't want to raise a false alarm.

    ~~~

    "I wish you didn't have so many meetings," I pouted, leaning on Niall's shoulder.

    "Believe me, my love, I would cancel all my meetings if I could, just to spend all my hours with you." He signed, leaning his head on mine.

    I hummed, snuggling closer to him. We decided to spend the evening watching a movie, after reading a few chapters of Jane Eyre together.

    "What movie should we watch tonight? I feel like we've watched everything on Netflix."

    I thought for a moment. "What about While You Were Sleeping? It was my mum's favorite and I haven't seen it in a while."

    "Let's do it," He said. "Hey, I'm proud of you, Gracey. You've come so far; you used to never be able to talk about your mum."

    I smiled. Niall had been helping me cope with my mother's loss; I never got therapy or any help after her passing, seeing as my dad was struggling with it worse than I was and Victoria came into my life far too soon. Of course, I have a hard time without her, though it's been years, but I'm proud of how far I've come.

    Niall wrapped his arms around me. Everything in my life felt so complete; I felt belonging, I felt important, I felt needed, and I felt pure love.

    And now I know what love truly means.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n

when is it my turn to be happy. ALL I WANT IN LIFE IS WHAT THEY HAVE IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK SOMEONE'SMOVINGOUTSIDETHELIGHTSCOMEONANDDOWNTHEDRIVEIFORGETYOURENOTHEREWHENICLOSEMYEYESDOYOUSTILLTHINKOFMESOMETIMES

anyways

sorry i take so long to update i have no motivation in the summer but hey it's fall now and suddenly i'm motivated so maybe i'll update more often????????

also also I HAVE SO MUCH PLANNED for the next chapters; like every single chapter is gonna be important because we're nearing the end of the book (ik i'm very sad but lowkey relieved) so buckle your seatbelts it's gonna be fun

we're so close to 3k reads and 400 votes AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH tysm for the love and support ilysm <3

if you are enjoying this book please consider voting <3

I LOVE YOU GUYS STAY SAFE DRINK WATER EAT YOUR VEGGIES UHHH MAKE SOMEONE SMILE DON'T FORGET HOW IMPORTANT AND AMAZING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE MWAH MWAH