chapter seventeen // get to know you.

A couple of long, monotonous months had passed and it became November. The days all seemed to be the same. I woke up, ate breakfast, played football with the boys, ate lunch, read while the boys' tutors were here, FaceTimed Reeja or my dad, then spent the rest of my day doing whatever the boys wanted — which usually included some sort of mischief that got me in trouble with Melody.

As it was getting colder outside, Adrian and Christian seldom wanted to go outside and play. They started to become annoyed by each other, so they both wanted to play alone in their rooms. They didn't want me nagging at them, so we developed a bell ringing system. If the boys' needed anything, they would ring the bell and I made sure to stay close by so I would hear it. I still checked up on them every 15 minutes in case they were getting into any trouble.

I sat down on my couch and got ready to read 'Fablehaven', which seemed very intriguing to me. I had read so much in the past month; I finished the Harry Potter series in a week, a few Jane Austen books, (which were perfect for daydreaming), and a few others.

It seemed I was in a reading slump. I had the desire to read, but I had read so much that it drained all the attention out of me. I sighed and turned on the big TV sitting above the fireplace. I decided to watch Stranger Things; it looked promising.

After a few episodes, I checked the clock to see it was 1:00. The boys' tutors were here, which meant I could finally leave the 4th floor. I usually took the opportunity to go on a walk around the palace grounds. It was going to be a bit colder today, so I made sure to have the fireplace started and made some hot cocoa in a thermos. I grabbed my coat and beanie and headed off on my stroll. I usually walked alone so I had some time to think.

I looked out at the beautiful grounds; there were trees and flowers galore. It was just like what you'd read about in a book. I was about halfway through the flower-filled grounds when I heard the sound of grass rustling behind me. I ignored it, thinking it was most likely a bird.

But the sound kept getting closer and closer. Someone was following me. I sped up a bit, in hopes I would leave behind whoever was following me. Could it be Vic?

The footsteps behind me grew closer and closer; louder and louder. I fearfully turned around, expecting the worst.

It wasn't who I had expected. I turned to see Niall waving at me, wearing a big grin on his face. I felt a bit stupid for being so jumpy, I just hoped Niall didn't see the idiotic startled look on my face.

"Hey! Wait for me!" He jogged over. "Care if I join you on your walk today?" He said in his thick Irish accent.

I felt my heart drop into my stomach when I heard him. I knew I was going to make a fool of myself in front of him. Not wanting to be rude, I accepted his request. He caught up to me and we walked in silence for a few minutes.

"So . . . do you walk here every day?" He finally spoke to break the silence. I couldn't seem to find my voice, so I just gave him a nod.

"How are you not freezing out here?" He laughs as he shivers a little.

After clearing my throat a few times, I finally found my voice. "I am freezing out here," I laughed, "I just make sure to bring some hot cocoa or coffee with me."

"I wish I was smart enough to bring some," He laughed loudly. His laugh was contagious; I couldn't help but laugh along. "So, how's the nannying getting along? Are Christian and Adrian treating you well?"

"Yes, they're very good to me now. But, it's pretty boring at the moment, with it being cold outside and all; the boys don't want to leave the palace. I've already read half the books in my reading room!"

"I'm glad they're good to you. And if you ever need more books, just let me know; I know Kaitlyn is a book worm as well and has plenty of books I'm sure she'd let you borrow,"

I smiled and nodded my head as I wracked my brain, trying to think of something to say. "Do you like living here?" I finally ask. I was always curious about how royalty felt. It seems everyone wants to be royalty, but I pity them. Constantly being chased by the paparazzi, always being in the spotlight. I've always been the type to like to stay in the background.

He hesitated to answer as if he didn't know how he felt about it. "Well, it's very different. I miss Ireland more than you'd ever know. I had some of my best friends over there. Haven't talked to them in a while,"

"I understand, that would be hard leaving behind the people you love," I choked on my words. Leaving behind the people I loved. . . . My dad. My brothers. My step-sister. My beautiful real mother. Tears brimmed my eyes as I spoke. It was as if all my memories came flooding all back to me within a second.

I gasped for air, unable to breathe for the moment. This had been happening quite frequently the past few months. Small things would remind me of my family and I would get quite homesick. Other things would remind me of Vic and an overwhelming uncomfortable feeling would come over me. The flashbacks cause me to forget how to breathe for a second and leave me dizzy for a minute. It may not last long, but it still terrifies me.

"Are you okay?" Niall gasped and ran to pick me up from the ground where I fell over. I just nod my head and groan.

"Yeah I'm fine," I managed once I finally found some air.

"What just happened?"

I shook my head to let him know I'd rather not talk about it. He gave me an understanding, yet confused nod, and we continued to walk around the palace grounds; only now, Niall had an arm around my shoulder to make sure I wouldn't fall again. The rest of our walk was a bit awkward, but we managed to make some conversation.

"Would you mind if I joined you for a walk every day? I'd like to get to know you better and I do need some exercise," Niall wondered.

I grinned. "Yes, I'd love for you to come and to get to know you!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

AWWW YAYYAYYYAYYAYYAYAYYAYYA MY LITTLE CHILDREN ARE GOING TO GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER #RISEGRACIALL

i just would like to say, thank you SO SO SO MUCH for 750 reads! you guys and your support mean the absolute world to me. i can't thank you all enough!

also, i'd love to hear your thoughts on the book so far. PLEASE let me know if you are unsure about/hate a chapter, feel free to give me pointers on anything, feel free to give me suggestions of what you want to see in the book, just give me your thoughts! I love to hear what you think! don't be scared to tell me something you don't like, it's how i grow as a writer! i'd love to get better but i wouldn't be able to do that without your help :)

again, thank you all so much for your incredible support :) thank you for your votes and comments, thank you for everything!

i have so much planned for this book, i'm so excited!! i hope y'all are too :)