chapter thirty-eight // breaking and entering.

Reeja's POV

I climbed up the shaking ladder. I was so close to the top, though I wasn't sure I would make it. Christian and Adrien were terrible spotters. "Hold it with a tighter grip, would you!"

"You're twice the age and size of us, plus a ladder that weighs, what, 200 pounds? How do you expect us to hold this still for you," Christian complained.

"Suck it up, this is important!"

"We don't even have to be helping you in the first place," He added. "Plus, we're technically not supposed to be talking to you. Like we said, our family suspects you and Gracey as the murderers."

"But you don't believe them so don't you dare leave me stranded up here or I will—"

"Christian, Adrien! What on earth are you doing out here with a ladder!" Melody screeched.

The boys quickly stepped back and I felt the ladder begin to fall. I whisked up the rungs and clung on for dear life once I made it to the stone railing of Niall's balcony. I hid out of view as Melody came outside. "Sorry, Melody. We were just trying to mess with Niall . . . he locked his door so we have no way else to enter his room!" Adrien replied innocently. I sighed in relief knowing he got the lie we rehearsed correct.

"Get back inside, you two." The boys mouthed a sorry as they followed Melody back inside, snickering.

I pulled myself up the railing and peered through Niall's bedroom window, bracing myself for the disaster I might see inside. I sighed when I saw him studying the letter Christian had shown me prior to climbing up the ladder; it seemed King Bobby beat me to it. I knew it would be hard to convince Niall that the letter wasn't true, so I attempted to mentally prepare myself before pulling out a bobby pin to pick his lock. I was pleasantly surprised when the trick worked, though slightly annoyed. That's why it was so easy for Victoria to capture Grace.

I climbed inside the room and was met face to face with a bewildered Niall.

"I really need to get a new window lock," He mumbled as he backed away.

"We need to talk."

"What are you doing here? Have you come to remind me it's a possibility I might die any second? Or that the love of my life only dated me for money? Or that she—"

"You better shut up." I snarled.

"What are you going to do about it? I don't care what happens to her anymore. She lied to me."

"Don't you dare talk about Grace like that. I know you, Niall. And I know you care."

"Perhaps you don't know me well enough. Get out of here now or I'm calling the authorities. I already know you mean to kill me."

I rolled my eyes. I knew this would be difficult, but Grace needs closure. "Listen, I need to talk to you. I know your dad showed you that letter, but I need you to know what he told you isn't true. Grace didn't write that letter and she never would."

For a moment I thought I saw a glint of hope in his eyes. "I've had enough with people lying to me. How about you tell me the truth for once in your life?" He pretended not to care, though I could tell he was begging to know where Grace is. He's ridiculous. "Can you explain to me what this picture is, then?"

He handed me a picture of Grace rummaging through the files in the room she told me about. "After Grace found Melody's plans to kill the Queen, she was searching through files to see if there's any more information about the plot."

"Likely story. Those are the Queen's files."

"How about you let me finish?" I glared at him before I continued explaining. "She also searched through files of the Queen to learn more about the security measures and such for events. She wanted to see if it was possible for her to save the Queen without having to worry you and the authorities. But, it seemed she couldn't do it on her own, hence why she ended up telling you."