chapter twenty-five // pain.

Gracey's POV

    I woke up in a cold sweat; my eyes slowly drifted open, adjusting to the dim lighting around me. My body ached and my arms struggled to support my frail body. The cold, hard ground beneath me seemed to sway as I struggled to get to my feet, only to fall back down again.

    "Look who's finally home." A raspy, venomous voice spoke.

    I gritted my teeth when I finally realized where I was. Everything was a blur: shattered glass, screams, darkness. The last thing I could remember was falling to the glass-covered ground. I looked down at my body: Glass shards seemed to stick out of every pore. I could feel sharp pains everywhere, but my head hurt worst of all.

"Where's Niall," I muttered in a low voice. I cringed in pain; my voice croaked, hurting my chest.

"We left him behind. You're far away from him now; we're home, Grace. Or should I call you Gracey?"

"Where's dad."

She cackled. "Oh, he's long gone now. Died of a broken heart. His daughter was too selfish to stay with him"

My breath caught in my throat. I refused to believe it, she had to be lying to me. "What did you do to him!"

"I just had a little fun, that's all. It's not my fault he accused me of disciplining the children." She grinned.

I shook my head. He can't be gone. This is all just one big misunderstanding, right? She couldn't have killed him . . . could she? "Where did he go . . ."

    "Heaven, or hell, either one is fine as long as he's out of my way."

    I screamed, rage filling every fiber of my being. "You— you killed my father?" I broke down, my body falling to the ground yet again. I winced in pain as my body hit the floor, but I didn't care anymore.

    I'll never get to see him again. I would never get to feel his warm hugs, his affirming words. He was gone and I never got to say goodbye.

    Victoria walked towards me. "Get up, stupid girl. There's no time to mope about that old man." I shoved her hand off of me and slowly backed away.

    "You're a murderer."

    "And you're a pain in my side." She grabbed my hand firmly and pulled out handcuffs in an attempt to keep me from struggling against her. I just let her, too in shock to process anything and too weak to protest.

    It was my fault he was gone. If I stayed, then Victoria wouldn't have lashed out at him. If I stayed, then my siblings wouldn't have been harmed. If I stayed, I could've at least said goodbye to my dad.

    I couldn't believe it and I refused to believe it. I could still feel a part of him with me. Maybe he was at work and it was all just a misunderstanding. Maybe he's still alive.

    I felt sorrow, but most of all I felt guilt; immense, heavy guilt.

    "Allow me to fill you in on what happened while you were too busy getting it on with Mr. Fancy-Pants at the palace." She sneered. "Where do I begin?"

    "How about you start by telling me why you killed my father." I managed to croak out.

    "It was simple. You left, he started searching for you. His dimwitted nature finally noticed Milo was in charge of the kids, pieced together why you ran away, then accused me of abusing you. Being put into jail wasn't on my agenda so I disposed of the evidence."

    "And what did you do to Milo?" I muttered in a low voice.

    "Same thing I did to you." She laughed. "Though it didn't take very long for him to run away, as you did. The only difference is he didn't get very far."

    "Don't you dare lay a finger on him!" I screamed. My heart ached. How was I so selfish as to leave my brothers?

    "Don't talk to me in that tone." Vic slapped me, leaving my face stinging red. It hurt, but I didn't flinch. I was used to it, and I deserved it.

    "How did you know about me and Niall?"

    "After you had that—run-in—with Melody, we knew you'd be stupid enough to tell Niall. We simply installed a camera to make sure you'd stay in line."

    Melody continued to spit horrid remarks about my father, Niall, and my brothers. But I was too weak to move. I screamed and screamed for help, but I felt so alone.

    She continued to hurt me repeatedly, but I couldn't do anything but think at that moment, I deserve it. I deserved every punch she inflicted on me. I deserved the insults, I deserved the punishment, I deserved every bit of it.

    I should've stayed with my family.

    The world faded to black along with Melody's screams. I deserve it. I deserve it. I deserve it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n

I don't really know what to say tbh

NIALL SAVE YOUR GIRL. QUIT MOPING PLEASE

this chapter hurt to write bUT ITS OK EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OKAY -- i say holding back tears. why do i do this to myself why do i write things like this. i have mixed feelings because it's fun to torture my readers but it's also torturing myself LMAO

anyways i love you all so much and thanks for sticking with this book even through my month-long-writers blocks! i hope you ??enjoyed??? this chapter <3