chapter five // falling into place.

I laid in bed and stared at the ceiling with tears rolling down my cheeks. I slightly calmed down but I still had a million thoughts rushing through my head. I figured she was going to say no, why did I ever get my hopes up? I may as well just give up.

I laid there for an hour or so, drowning in hundreds of negative thoughts. . . . Until an idea popped into my head.

I quickly got out of bed and rushed back upstairs, stubbing my toe in the process.

"Grace," Vic called as she must've heard me mutter a curse word under my breath. "Will you go to the store and pick up some groceries?"

"Why don't you do it?" I spat.

"Come here," she said, her voice filled with disgust.

"No,"

"I'm gonna —" she stopped as my dad walked into the room. "—get some groceries!" she left the house before my dad could say anything.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I said once Vic had left.

"Yeah, what's up?" My dad replied, a hint of concern in his voice.

I took a deep breath and explained everything I knew about the opening for the nanny job. My dad seemed a little skeptical about me watching kids; he still doesn't know about the Vic situation. He sat there pondering for a moment.

"Well, I guess so, but it might be a bit difficult watching kids," He finally responded.

"Trust me, I've got this," I responded, smiling widely and hugging my dad.

I ran down to my bedroom, overjoyed with his response. It was all fitting into place.

I opened up my email and began my message, my hands shaking a slight bit out of excitement.

"Hey! My name is Gracey Anne, I wanted to apply for the nanny job. Is it still available?"

I decided it would be best to go by a different name, just in case Vic found out. It could be a better code name, but it was the best I could think of at the time being.

About 5 minutes later I got a response. I was shocked to have gotten one so late at night.

"Hello, Gracey. The job is still available. When would be a good time for an interview?"

"Oh good! Any time works for me!" I quickly responded.

10 minutes later they responded with the time for my appointment.

"Does Friday at 3:00 PM work?"

"Yes, that should work!"

Friday was the day after my birthday, so I would be 18 by the time of the interview; perfect timing.

"Ok. It will be at the palace, there will be a security guard waiting to escort you to the office."

"Sounds good, thank you so much!"

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. It was finally happening.

I just hoped Vic wouldn't find out. . . .