chapter one // another morning.

I slowly trudged up the creaking stairs and made my way to the kitchen. All I could hear was my screaming siblings and the sound of little feet stomping on the floor above me. My eyes stung due to sleep deprivation and it felt as though I used hot sauce as eye drops. I wished more than anything to be back in my warm, unmade bed.

It was another morning; another day sure to be filled with more chaos.

Every day was the same old story. My poor father was the only one working to provide for our family, which caused him to work long hours; oftentimes not even getting home until two in the morning. My stepmother, Victoria, on the other hand, would leave the house for hours on end wasting her life away on drinks and parties. This left me as the only one to take care of my four raucous siblings.

I trudged into the kitchen and scanned the room; the sink was already piled high with dirty dishes and there were food crumbs scattered all over the floor. Finally, my eyes laid on Victoria, who was leaning against the door, her bony arms folded across her body, wearing the ill-tempered look that never seemed to leave her face.

"Grace Lennon," My stepmother began, her cold, raspy, monotonous voice sending shivers down my spine. "You should've been upstairs an hour ago. You know how important it is for me to go to this event and I can't be late."

I was greatly surprised she didn't just leave the house without waiting for me; she doesn't care about anyone other than herself. "Sorry Victoria," I started, my voice sounding more surprised than I meant for it to be, "I didn't get much sleep last night and —"

"No excuses," Victoria interrupted. "The world doesn't revolve around you." She gave me one last glare — more like a look of warning — before leaving the house.

I had an idea of what was to come when she came back home.

"Grace, Oliver slapped me!" A small voice whined from the next room over.

"That's because you wouldn't leave me alone, Amelia!"

"Would both of you please stop fighting? Amelia, leave Oliver alone. Oliver, no slapping, okay?" I chimed in, exasperated at the fact that they were already fighting. Amelia stuck her tongue out at Oliver while he promptly folded his arms and turned his back on her.

This was going to be a long day.

I was used to acting like the mom in the house, the last time we actually had a real mother to take care of us was when I was about seven. My mum died from a devastating car crash about ten years ago. Me and my brothers Milo, Cooper, and Oliver, were extremely young at the time. My mum's passing was a hard time for all of us, but it was the hardest on my father. He and my mum were soulmates.

He wouldn't talk to anyone for a long time after she died; he shut himself away from the world. Even from his own family.

After about a year of slow healing, my father met Victoria. They "fell in love" — a fake love at that — and he married her only after a few months of dating. I was sure Victoria only married him for his money and someone to take her daughter, Amelia. She trained me to take care of kids when I was only eight years old so I could watch Amelia and my siblings, and she could "go out and live life," as she says.

"Grace, how much longer until your birthday?" Cooper complained from his spot on the couch, watching a football game. "I want cake and ice cream already!"

"Oh, so you only want it to be my birthday for the food? Not for my happiness?" I challenged, a smirk appearing on my face.

"Food comes before all else, sorry to break it to you," He teased. "But seriously, when is it? I never keep track."

"You need to get your priorities straight. My birthday's in three more days."

My 18th birthday.

The age my dad said I can finally leave the house and live on my own. The age I would finally be able to leave behind all the drama in my life. The age I could move away and live my fantasy.

But there was only one problem that crushed this dream; where would I live? I had no money saved in my bank account, and no job experience, so I wouldn't even get to buy myself a home. I couldn't apply for college; Victoria never allowed me to get an education since I had to watch my siblings. I used a few apps to learn the basics, but I wasn't the brightest.

It would be best not to get my hopes up. After living with a horrible stepmother for nine years, you learn not to get your hopes up for anything.

I wandered around the disastrous kitchen, searching for anything in the pantries to fill my growling stomach. I managed to rummage a box of Cheerios, poured myself a bowl, and took a seat at the window overlooking the rolling hills covered in crimson leaves, the orange sunrise contrasting perfectly.

Munching on my cereal, I scrolled through endless posts on social media, hoping to find some sort of inspiration for what I wanted to do in my life.

But something else caught my attention.

". . . this is perfect for those youngsters and hopeless romantics who need a job —"

Milo, who was sitting next to Cooper watching the TV, groaned and quickly changed the station, clearly not wanting to listen to the enthusiastic news reporter.

"No, no, wait, go back to that other station. I want to hear what they said!" I interrupted, jumping to take the remote from Milo, knocking over my cereal bowl in the process. I quickly changed the station and shushed the complaining Cooper and Milo, completely disregarding the spilled cereal.

". . . Yes, that's right Angela, the Royal Family is currently hiring a nanny to watch Prince Adrian and Prince Christian, and, they want young girls to nanny for them. . . . more info on the Royal Family's website, www.royal.uk . . . ."

Throwing the remote back at Milo and Cooper — and accidentally hitting Milo's head in the process — I quickly looked up the website.

This was my answer.

————————————————————————
a/n

welcome to the first chapter of different worlds!! thanks for reading and i hope you enjoy it <3