chapter forty-four // coronation.

Niall's POV

"I don't think I can do it, Niall," Greg said, resting his head in his hands.

"Of course you can. You're the bravest person I know and if anyone can lead this country, it's you." I responded, walking further into the room.

"I can't lead a whole country like this!" He stood and began pacing around the room. "The only reason I somewhat know what I'm doing is because Dad trained me what to do and what to say. Now that he's gone I feel like I don't know anything. Not to mention the woman I loved never even loved me back and is now in prison for murdering my parents!"

"And you've kept it together wonderfully! That's what the kingdom needs!"

He paused and turned to look at me. "Yeah, right. The kingdom needs a mentally unstable 25-year-old who feels as though they're going to break under any more pressure. That sounds wonderful."

I rolled my eyes and walked closer to him. "Look, Greg, I know you can do it. But if you feel like you can't, I can take over your role. But you should sleep on it before making any rash decisions."

"I have been sleeping on it! It's been 2 months since the funeral. The time to make the decision is now—the coronation is this week—and my decision is not to rule. If I'm king, this place will go down in flames. Niall, you're the one who needs to be king."

I took a deep breath, my anger rising by the minute. "If your decision is final, then I will take over."

"It's final."

I clenched my fists as I left the room, muttering under my breath.

"What's wrong?" Grace said as I walked into her room, her brows furrowed with concern.

"It's no use. Greg won't budge," I sighed and collapsed onto the couch next to her.

She wrapped her arms around me. "I know you're nervous, but I personally think you're going to be a way better king anyways." She said softly.

"You're just saying that because you're my girlfriend,"

"No! It's the truth!" She playfully punched my shoulder. "Let's see. Who's the man who never once skipped his leadership meetings? You. Who's the man who's currently running this entire palace and making sure everything's in order? Pretty sure not Greg! And lastly, who's the most compassionate, trusting, and kind man I know? Again, you. You've taught me so much and I think that's exactly what this place needs."

"But—"

"Hey, no buts. I know your mom and dad would be so proud. And, I know that if Queen Kaitlyn had to choose anyone to rule after her, it would be you. She told me herself!"

"She did not!"

"I'll quote her," She cleared her throat and promptly sat up straight, waved her hand, and spoke in her most 'queenly' voice. "'It's a shame Greg is older than Niall because Niall would run the country so much better. The thought of Greg running the country is the only thing keeping me from dying.'"

I laughed as Grace cracked a smile. "What on earth was that!"

"That was my Kaitlyn impression!"

"Spot on. Couldn't tell a difference."

She smiled as she laid her head on my shoulder, squeezing my hand. "I know you'll be the best king, Niall,"

And you'd be the best queen.

~~~

I straightened my suit jacket one last time before heading out the door. My heart was thumping out of my chest for a million different reasons. The obvious one was that I was about to take major responsibility over millions of people.