chapter four // responses.

"Hi, Vic, how was the party?" I asked quietly, attempting to start a conversation. I made sure to keep my head down; I was extremely nervous and I could feel my heart beating out of my chest.

"Amazing since I didn't have to see you," She sneered. "Now leave me alone. I'm tired out of my mind."

"Actually, I wanted to ask you something," I said, ignoring her last comment.

She rolled her eyes. "What do you need this time?"

"So . . . as you know, I'm turning 18 in a few days, which means I can leave the house and live on my own . . . The Cardell Palace has a nanny job opening that I was thinking I could apply for? May I?"

"No." She responded in almost a yell. "Who's going to watch your siblings?"

"I mean, you could watch them since they're your kids," I snapped back. I was done with all her idiocy; it was about time I put my foot down and stood up for myself. How I had been living with her for 9 years? I don't know.

"Don't you dare talk back to me. Do you think I care for these stupid kids?"

The truth finally came out.

I winced as Vic walked closer to me. Tears welled up in my eyes threatened to fall. She's going to hurt me. I'll never get to escape. I'll have to live in this fear for the rest of my life.

"I—But—Dad said I could—"

"I don't care what dad said," she cut me off, her voice getting louder and colder. "I'm in charge of you now.  Don't bring this up ever again. If you dare talk about this one more time you know what will happen."

I assumed she was signifying for the ruler. . . . I would do anything to never have to feel that pain again.

I shut my mouth and ran down to my room. I threw myself onto my bed and cried until I couldn't breathe. All I wanted was to live life; I didn't want to be cooped up in this house anymore. I wanted to be anywhere but here.

I looked up to the ceiling, my tears falling down harder, tickling my pale skin.

I don't know what to do anymore, Mama. I miss you so much.