epilogue.

Grace's POV— 47 years later

"I want nothing more than to be yours." I smiled, turning to look at my grinning husband.

    "The end," He smiled.

    "But what did you say, Grandpa?" Annie asked, her little voice shaking with awe.

    "Probably something naughty that your grandpa shouldn't repeat," Faith laughed, walking into the room. "Did you like the story, kids?" I turned towards my daughter and smiled. My heart swells every time I see her. My daughter. She had Niall's features all over her.

    "I thought it was gross," Charlie said, fake disgust across his little face.

    "It was so cute!" Annie shrieked, snuggling closer into her teddy bear. "Grandma, what about the wedding? You can't finish the story there!"

    "I've got the photo album right here," Our son, Flynn, replied, leaning on the doorway.

    I smiled and beckoned the grandkids to come closer, Annie reluctantly sitting on my lap. "That would be perfect," I took the old scrapbook from his hands and opened up to the first page.

    "Grandma, is that you?" Bea gasped, pointing to my first bridal shot. I nodded. "You look beautiful."

    "What happened to all your wrinkles?" Charlie raised his eyebrow, saying his typical brutally honest responses.

    I laughed and Niall quickly cut in. "I think Grandma is beautiful even with wrinkles,"

    "Tell us the story!" Annie interrupted.

    I sighed in remembrance of the most important day of my life.

    I slowly walked down the aisle, carefully stepping over the clumps of petals Amelia had sprinkled over the floor. Milo was by my side, linked with me arm-in-arm. I let out a shaky breath and tried to conceal my anxiety.

    "You alright?" He whispered.

    "I just wish dad were here to see this," I replied, tears welling up in my eyes.

    "I know," He squeezed my hand as we kept walking.

    I lifted my eyes from the floor and looked straight ahead of me, staring into the eyes of the man I was going to love forever. Marriage was something I always dreamed of; living with your best friend for the rest of your life, slow dancing in the kitchen, midnight walks in the neighborhood, and starting a life together. I never imagined it would happen so soon. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

    "Pinch me," I whispered to Milo.

    He laughed and shook his head, squeezing my hand tighter.

    I finally made it to the altar, standing in front of my soon-to-be husband. His smile was all I needed to see for my nerves to disappear.

    "Grandpa, what did you think of Grandma when she walked into the room?"

    "I thought she was the prettiest lady I had ever seen. She looked like a vision, I didn't think it was real."

    "What did she look like?" Annie asked.

    I showed her the picture I had shown Bea previously; my hair was in loose curls cascading down my back, tiny flowers dotting the waves. My gown was as extra as any queen's dress should be: puffed at the bottom with ruffles and delicate lace lining the silhouette.

    "You really do look like a princess," She smiled. "Can my wedding dress look like that?"

    "Of course, darling," I smiled.

    "I'd like to see you wear the dress, Ma," Faith replied.

    Bea clapped her hands, agreeing with her aunt. "I'll help you find it, Faith!" She sat up and ran towards Faith, both of them running out of the room.

    "I don't want to wait for them to get back, can you keep telling the story?" Annie whined and I nodded in response.

    The preacher next to us nodded and began the vows—

    "Vows are boring, can you skip to the fun part? The part where you and Grandpa dance in front of everyone?" Charlie interrupted.

    "Found it!" Faith grinned, hiding a white bag behind her back.

Bea ran towards me and tugged on my arm. "Come try it on, Grandma!"

"Alright, alright!"

~~~

    "Dad has to see you wear this." Faith said, her jaw dropping.

Flynn nodded his head in agreement. "He would love it,"

I waltzed around the room, my heart fluttering. Suddenly, just for a moment, I was 19 again. I was dancing around my room with Reeja, practicing the slow dance and my "queenly" wave. I was humming our song again. The flow of the fabric as I twirled felt so familiar, so safe.

I lifted my skirts and walked down the staircase towards the ballroom where Niall was waiting.

The world seemed to stop as we made eye contact. Married for 46 years, and my stomach still gets butterflies when I see him. His warm smile and blue eyes were my home. No matter the age, he was mine. And he always will be.

He wiped away a tear before taking my hand and twirling me into his arms. He tried to speak, but no words came out of his mouth. "I love you," was all he could muster.

A slow, familiar song played in the background. The familiar melody and singing strings filled the air and everyone else seemed to disappear around us. It was as if we were just married, everything new and exciting.

I stared up at my forever lover, finding home in his eyes. "When did you first know?" I whispered.

"I always knew."

the end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n

well, that's the end of grace and niall's story  :)

also do you see what i did there??? black and white reference 😁

i listened to 'love like this' by ben rector and 'all i need to hear' by the 1975 and i was on the vERGE OF TEARS the entire time

IM IN DENIAL THAT THIS IS THE END OF THE STORY WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH MY LIFE???

well, thanks for sticking around with me fam!!! i'll have an authors note out soon but i'm too lazy and sad to write it rn so expect that soon but in the meantime stream midnights by taylor swift