chapter forty-one // the masquerade // part two.

Grace's POV

Unfamiliar faces swarmed around me. A haunting piano played in the background of the chatter in the grand hall. I took in my surroundings; the marble walls, the gold detailing, and the joy that filled the air. I was home again.

There was a rainbow of colors that filled the ballroom, ranging from vibrant reds to dull greens. Strangers were masked in feathers, paper mache, and any range of material you could imagine.

But even with the masks, I could find the distinct figure of Victoria in the midst of the crowd.

"Do you see her?" Louis whispered.

"I could see her sour expression from a mile away,"

Louis offered me his arm, which I gratefully took, and I guided him to Victoria's location. I held onto Louis tightly as I continuously lost my balance. Heels weren't the right thing to wear after not walking for a whole month.

"Will you be alright here on your own?"

"I . . ." I looked around me and spotted a young boy, dancing with a little blonde girl. Christian and Rosa. "I'll be perfectly fine on my own. You guys stay safe, please."

"We will, you stay safe too. If it works out, I'll come find you. If not, then I guess you're on your own. But I assure you my plan is foolproof."

I faked a smile. "I hope so."

He turned to join the rest of the group as I studied Victoria. She was talking animatedly to one of the King's most trusted companions. How could they trust her?

I knew Louis told me not to get involved, but it was so hard not to. She was so close. Why couldn't I just take her weapon and call the police? Oh, right. I'm being framed for murder.

All I had to do was sit and look pretty, sipping my cup of tea. I gazed around at the crowd.

Everyone was completely unaware of tonight's danger. Couples dancing around without a care in the world, whispering sweet nothings to one another. Nobody was aware this might be their last evening on this earth.

I continued watching those around me, wishing it was me. I wished I was the one dancing. I wished I was the one giggling with my lover. But I was here, searching for him in the ocean of people, counting as the minutes grew closer to his death.

I glanced back at Victoria, her smug expression haunting me. What was she planning? When was she planning it?

I returned my attention back to the crowd. I couldn't help but search for Niall even though I knew it was helpless. I watched as Christian and Rosa drew closer to me. He glanced in my direction and I gave him a quick wave. I grinned as his smile grew wider. I could barely see his face under the mask, but I remember that smile very well.

He led Rosa towards me and mumbled, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to make sure you're safe," I gave him a pat on the head.

"No, I know you're here to see Niall," He smirked. "Niall! Niall! I found a pretty lady for you to dance with!" He squealed and ran towards the crowd, pulling the hand of an incredibly handsome man.

My heart fluttered as I saw Niall emerge from the crowd.

I couldn't do this. I couldn't risk his life for a silly dance. I quickly left my seat and walked into the sea of dancers. I was closer to Victoria, but farther from Niall. It hurt, but it was for the best.

I watched Christian's confused explanation to Niall when he couldn't find me at my seat. And I looked away from Niall's heartbroken expression as he searched the crowd for a glimpse of a familiar face.

I returned my focus to Victoria as Niall returned to his place in between his mother and father.

But something was wrong. Very wrong. My heart dropped into my stomach when I saw Melody back in the ballroom, looking evil as ever.

The plan failed.

No, this couldn't be right. Maybe Louis hadn't found her yet? Maybe it's all alright. But I knew that wasn't true when I saw the dungeon keys dangling from her fingertip.

I pushed through the crowd and ran towards the dungeon. I had to get them out. There had to be a way.

My heels clicked on the floor. I didn't care if I was loud, I had to get to everyone. Finally, I made it to the long hall, full of thankfully unused prison cells. I heard the loud chatter of voices towards the end of the hallway; I could hear distinct sobs coming from Joy, as well as some strong language from Louis.

I ran faster and collapsed at the bars when I found the cell containing Louis, Zayn, Harry, Liam, Chana, Joy, Brooke, and Reeja.

"What are you doing here? You're supposed to be saving Niall!" Reeja said exasperatedly.

"I can't. I can't do it! I just — oh, I don't know! I'm terrified out of my mind! I can't even think straight, I mean, what am I supposed to do? Call the cops? They think I'm the murderer. They think that I, Grace Lennon, is the royal family killer! I can't —"

"Grace!" Reeja interrupted. "You are hysterical! Get yourself together!" She yelled as she smacked me across the face. "There. Smacked some sense into you. Grace Lennon, you are the bravest person I know. And if anyone can figure out a plan, it's you. If anyone can save the royal family, again, it's you. I believe in you, and I know every one of us can say the same. But it's about time you believe in yourself."

I sat there, dumbstruck. "I can't even form a single sentence without stuttering at this moment. How am I supposed to save the family?"

"You've lied your way into working here, lived with and lied to The Victoria, dealt with Melody, and more. You know the most out of any of us."

"But —"

"Think of Niall. Do you want to see his smile every day? Do you want to hear his voice every time you wake up?" I nodded and she continued. "Then come to your senses. The only way that will happen is if you get back into that ballroom and show them who's boss. I want you to strut into that place, absolutely destroy Victoria in a wrestling match, and walk out of there with her gun and proof. Now get out of here and do your thing!"

I stumbled as I got back on to my feet, tears blurring my vision. I had to do this for Niall. I love him and I need to show that love to him.

I ran back through the marble hallways towards the ballroom. The music grew louder and louder. But it was quickly interrupted with a deafening thunder.

A gunshot rang out through the hallway.

I ran into the ballroom just in time to see chaos unfold. Everyone was screaming and holding on to loved ones, running out exits and breaking windows.

But there was only one path for me to go, and that was forward.

Another gunshot rang out as the King collapsed to the ground next to his fallen wife.

My face grew pale as I saw Niall crouch beside his parents, completely unaware of the deadly weapon pointing towards him. He shook his father, screaming at him to wake up. Tears rolled down his cheeks as he held his late parents' hands.

Everything was in slow motion. I ran towards Niall, but it felt as though I couldn't run fast enough. I was so close. So close.

I watched as Victoria's finger neared the trigger. I knew he was next.

Before I even knew what I was doing, I leapt in front of Niall as the next gunshot rang throughout the palace.

————————————————————————
a/n

OK LISTENING TO THE MERRY GO ROUND OF LIFE WHILE WRITING THIS WAS SO FUN. IT JUST GIVES MAJOR MASQUERADE VIBES

also y'all don't worry this isn't the end of the book, you've still got 3 chapters and the epilogue to deal with :) this isn't the last of me

i stayed up writing this till 12:30 am

ILYSM <3