13) Into The Forest

It seemed as if things could not get worse, but this was, of course wrong. Filch led us down to McGonagall's study where we sat awaiting our punishment. Hermione was trembling and staring into the floor. I took her hand in mine and looked at her.

"It'll be fine. We're not going to be expelled." I said comfortingly.

She continued to look at the floor but wasn't trembling as much.

Malfoy was also in the room but he looked rather pleased with himself and had a smug smile.

McGonagall finally came into the room but was leading Neville by the arm.

"Harry! I was trying to find you, to warn you, I heard Malfoy say he was going to catch you, he said you had a dragon." Neville burst out.

Harry shook his head at him trying to get him to shut up.

"I told you, didn't I Professor." Malfoy said smugly.

"Silence Malfoy!" snapped McGonagall. "I would never believed it of any of you. Mr Filch said you were up in the astronomy tower, it's one o'clock in the morning. Explain yourselves."

I looked desperately at the other two but they seemed to be struggling for excuses as well.

"It doesn't take a genius to work out what has happened here. You fed Malfoy some nonsense story about a dragon to try and get him out of bed and in trouble. We'll I've caught him as you can see, I suppose you told Longbottom the same thing and he believed it."

Me and Harry looked desperately at Neville to try and convince him that what McGonagall said wasn't true.

"All five of you will receive detentions for you behaviour."

"Excuse me professor, I may have misheard you but it sounded like you said 'all five'." said Malfoy

"Yes as noble as your intentions may have been Mr Malfoy you were still wondering around after hours. You shall be punished appropriately."

*At least that's something, Malfoy's getting detention as well* I said to Hermione in her head.

*I guess, but I can't believe I forgot the cloak. That was so stupid.*

*Hey, don't blame yourself, me and Harry forgot it too. Don't just put that on yourself.*

*I know but that's not like me, I'm meant to be the smart one.*

*Are you calling me stupid, Hermione?* I said in her head jokingly.

It looked as if she smiled but it was hard to tell with her face down and in the dark.

McGonagall dismissed Malfoy and then turned back to the four of us.

"I'm disgusted. Four Gryffindor students out of bed at night. I've never heard of anything like it before."

I found that hard to believe, knowing Fred and George and some of the people dad had mentioned during his time at Hogwarts.

"Miss Granger, Mr L/N I assumed you had more sense and Mr Potter I thought Gryffindor meant more to you. Mr Longbottom I'm afraid you will be punished as well, nothing gives you the right to stroll around the corridors at this time. Especially these days, it's very dangerous fifty points will be taken from Gryffindor."

"Fifty!?" Harry gasped.

I however was more focused on how she said 'especially these days'. Obviously there was Fluffy but we were no way near the third floor corridor. Maybe there was something going on that the teachers knew about and the students didn't. It was probably something to do with the stone no matter what it was.