35) Preparation

After Ryan's injuries he was granted extra time off by the Ministry and he wanted to make the most of it. He knew something big was coming and wanted to prepare his son for it. That's why he asked Y/N to practice discipline with his mother.

"C'mon." called Amy, over her shoulder.

Y/N was currently hunched over with his hands on his knees gulping down air.

"Can we have a break?" asked Y/N.

"You know we can't." said Amy. "You can rest when we get home. It's only half a mile away."

"Please!" said Y/N, a bit angrier than he meant to.

Y/N didn't see the point in this, when his dad said he needed to prepare he thought he'd be practicing magic not going on exhausting runs which made his lungs burn.

Amy smirked than began running again.

"He was right." she said to herself.

Y/N took one last deep breath then chased after his mother trying to keep a steady pace. Seven minutes later he caught up to her and saw her leaning against the door with a smug grin on her face.

Y/N glared at her and went inside to collapse on the couch. He was greeted by Neptune who jumped on his chest and licked his face. Y/N picked up his cat and threw him onto the other couch in the living room.

"That's not a way to treat your pets." said Ryan, who greeted his wife with a kiss.

"And this," Y/N gestured to himself. "Is no way to treat your son."

Ryan laughed but Y/N didn't appreciate it.

"Why are we doing this!? You said I had to be ready for what's coming. I should be practicing magic! Especially after what I learnt last year!"

"I'm going for a shower." said Amy, leaving her family to talk.

Ryan sat down next to his son. Y/N had been wanting to have this conversation since he got out of Hogwarts but his father's injury scare had meant it had to be postponed.

"I had to hear it from Voldemort!" said Y/N. "He wanted me to join." he spat. "The most evil wizard ever approached me and tried to recruit me. How do you think that made me - Merlin - makes me feel? I've been trying not to think about it but, how can't I?"

It was one thing to hear excuses from Dumbledore but his dad had had his entire life to tell him and hadn't.

"I know you're angry at me," said Ryan, he looked disappointed with himself. "you have every right to be. I should have been the one tell you and the fact you had to hear it from him makes me sick to my stomach. But I was arrogant, I was naive, I was hoping I'd never have to tell you. As unrealistic as that was. My parents are some of the worst people you could ever meet: they're twisted, vicious, sadistic, everything you could ever hate in a person. I wanted to keep them out of your life for as long as possible. Their name, their legacy," he spat "made me hate myself for a long time, I wanted to make sure it never affected your life, your future. I don't want you thinking any less of yourself because of this. They are not your family; me and your mother, Chloe, Hermione. We're your family, we're the people that love you and that you love back. That's all that matters, who you choose to care about, who you choose to include in your life. I know you're probably still angry but I hope now you can understand why I did what I did."

"I understand wanting to hide it from me but know I now, why not help me prepare? Why not help me get stronger?"

Your magic is strong already," said Ryan. "You shouldn't need much more yet. What you need, is control."