15) The Man With Two Faces (End Of First Year)

Harry POV

"I knew it!" yelled Y/N

"You!?" I said.

"Me." Quirrell said calmly "I wondered if I'd meet you two down here."

"But I thought - Snape -"

Quirrell let out a cold laugh

"Severus?" he said without his usual stutter. "Yes, Severus does seem like the type, doesn't he? Swooping around like an overgrown bat. L/N here knew better, but next to Snape who would suspect stuttering ol' Professor Quirrell."

Y/N didn't looked shocked at all and actually had a smug smirk on his face.

I was having trouble processing this, after everything how could it be Quirrell.

"But Snape tried to kill me!"

"No, no, no, I tried to kill you. I suspect L/N here knew that too. Him and Miss Granger knocked me over when they set Snape on fire, broke my eye contact. I would've managed it before then but Snape was muttering the counter-curse."

"Snape tried to save me." I said, shocked.

"Of course. Why do you think he wanted to referee your next match? Funny, really, it wasn't necessary, what with Dumbledore out there. All the other teachers thought he just wanted Gryffindor to lose, didn't make himself very popular. In the end it was all a waste of time, because I'm going to kill you here, tonight."

I was still struggling to believe that Snape was the one trying to save me.

"You're just too nosy to live, both of you are. Wandering around the school like that on Halloween, you could've seen me looking at what was guarding the stone."

"CONFRINGO!"

A ball of fire shot over my shoulder and towards Quirrell.

"That troll nearly killed my best friend!" Y/N yelled.

Quirrell evaded the spell then clicked his fingers, ropes sprung out of the walls and bound me and Y/N.

"I was hoping it would get the job done, but it failed, and the stupid dog didn't even bite Snape's leg off properly. Now be quiet, whilst I examine this mirror."

I only now realised that the Mirror of Erised was stood behind Quirrell.

"I assume that's the Mirror of Erised." Y/N whispered to me.

"Yeah, but I'm not sure how it's going to help. Dumbledore said it doesn't show the truth. We should distract him though."

"Agreed."

"The mirror is the key to finding the stone." Quirrell murmured "Trust Dumbledore to come up with something like this, he's in London though so I'll be long gone."

"I saw you and Snape in the forest!" I blurted out desperately.

"Yes,"Quirrell said idly. "He was on to me by that time, trying to figure out how far I'd got. He suspected me all along. Tried to frighten me - as if he could when I had Lord Voldemort on my side."

Quirrell came back from behind the mirror and stared into it desperately.

"I see the stone... I'm presenting it to my master, but where is it?"

"But Snape always hated me so much."

"Oh he does, absolutely. He was at Hogwarts with your father, they loathed each other. Why do you think he likes L/N? His father was one of Severus' only friends, for a time anyway. He never wanted to kill you despite his hatred for your father."