29) Consequence

Y/N's anger had been eating him up inside since the attack and everyone else was feeling the consequences. He lashed out at everyone and everything so most people were avoiding speaking to him where possible. Harry and Ron still tried to comfort their friend but their efforts did little to help and they often experienced the worst of Y/N's outbursts.

Y/N's anger hit a new peak when he was denied his visit to Hermione only a week on from the attack.

"You can't do this! You said you'd let me see her!" he yelled.

"Y/N, I know what I said and I really am sorry, but Madam Pomfrey isn't letting anyone in." said McGonagall.

"No, please, you have to let me go. It's my fault she's like that! I should have helped her."

McGonagall sighed.

"Y/N, you can't blame yourself for what happened and I really wish I could let you go but Madam Pomfrey said she can't risk the attacker coming to finish the job."

"What!? You know I would never! I care about her more than anything. Please just let me visit..." he begged.

"Y/N, I can't. But if you wish to talk, I will come here every evening and ask you to join me in my office."

Y/N looked at her sadly with a silent anger.

"I'm sorry." said McGonagall before turning and leaving Y/N stood outside his common room.

() () ()

With Dumbledore's departure the school had become more tense than ever. Fear was spreading fast and the corridors were eerily silent. Every face that passed through them was covered in tension and worry.

Y/N had been obsessed with the words Hagrid had left them with. He kept repeating them over and over again in his head.

"Follow the spiders..." he muttered.

It was obvious what they meant but the problem was, that there seemed to be no spiders left in the school. As hard as Y/N looked he found not a single one to follow - even with the help of Harry and, reluctantly, Ron. This wasn't helped by the fact they were constantly being forced along by the rest of the Gryffindors. This was aggravating Y/N and students from the third year down were becoming even more scared of him.

Most of the students were comforted by the fact they were being shepherded by teachers but Y/N felt irritated by the constant watchful gaze.

One person, however, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere of terror and tension. Draco Malfoy had been strutting around the school as if he was the new headmaster. He took every opportunity he got to frighten other students. However he never got the opportunity to tease his main target as Y/N was avoiding Malfoy at all costs. He had been skipping his potions classes to do it, but unfortunately McGonagall told   Y/N that if he didn't go to his next class there would be punishment. So a fortnight on from Hermione's attack Y/N was forced to deal with Malfoy.

He took his seat in the Potions classroom, the usual emptiness filling him as he remembered no one would be sat next to him. However, the emptiness was replaced with more anger as Malfoy entered the classroom and sat directly in front of him. Malfoy began to gloat to Crabbe and Goyle and Y/N couldn't help but overhear.