26) Polyjuice Problems

McGonagall led Y/N and Harry inside then told them to wait as she left the office. Y/N smirked at the astonished look on Harry's face as he took in the surroundings. The office was a sight to behold on your first time seeing it and Y/N imagined he had a similar look on his face.

Y/N went over to the red bird perched on a stand on Dumbledore's desk. This was Dumbledore's phoenix, Fawkes,   Y/N had not seen him many times but today he looked very ill. His feathers were falling out and his eyes were dull.

*Is something wrong Fawkes?*

*I'm not well.*

*I can see that, is it your burning day?*

*Yes, it is*

*It'll be nice to see you better then.*

Whislt Y/N was having his mental conversation with Fawkes, Harry had gone over to the Sorting Hat and placed it on his head. This interested Y/N who went over to Harry. Y/N was about to ask Harry what the hat had said but Harry shouted out before he could.

"You're wrong!"

"Not good news then." said Y/N.

"It still thinks I would have done well in Slytherin."

"And yet it put you in Gryffindor, don't forget that. Can I have the hat, I want to see what it says to me?"

Harry passed Y/N the Sorting Hat then walked over to inspect Fawkes.

"What do you want?" asked the hat.

"I'm interested to see what you have to say now."

"You have many of the traits of a Ravenclaw and a Hufflepuff, but now I see that I placed you in the right house."

Y/N took the hat off his head and placed it onto the shelf where Harry got it from.

"What did it say?" asked Harry.

"It said it wasn't sure that it put me in the right house." lied Y/N. "It probably says that to everyone."

"Maybe, but-"

Harry stopped speaking as a loud gargling was now coming from next to him. Fawkes seemed to be choking and Y/N held a concerned look on his face, surely this isn't how pheonixes die to be reborn.

Then suddenly Fawkes burst into a ball of fire leaving only ash on his perch.

Harry had a look of horror on his face which only worsened when Dumbledore stepped into the room looking sombre.

"Professor," Harry gasped, "your bird - I couldn't do anything - he just caught fire-"

Y/N was struggling to keep himself from laughing and Harry's look of astonishment at Dumbledore's smile didn't make it easier.

"About time, too," said the Headmaster. "He's been looking dreadful for days, I've been telling him to get a move on."

Dumbledore let out a chuckle at Harry's face.

"Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry. I'm sure Y/N could have told you that."

Harry glanced at Y/N and Y/N couldn't help but laugh.

"Pheonixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes. Watch him..."

From the ashes came a tiny newborn bird's head, it didn't look much better than it had done before dying.

"It was a shame you had to see him on a burning day." said Dumbledore sitting down at his desk. "He's really very handsome most of the time: wonderful red and gold plumage. Fascinating creatures, pheonixes. They can carry immensely heavy loads, their tears have healing powers and they make highly faithful pets."