41 ♔♕ 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗱𝗶𝗮𝗿𝘆

ICU Diary of

PRINCESS ISABELLA OF WALES

For whom you are writing:

My full name:
Princess Isabella (Bella) of Wales

How I spend my time:
Horse riding, charity work (animals and children are your favourite areas), walking, reading, listening and dancing to music, with your boyfriend (Alex) and friends (Rose is your closest friend)

What I like:
Anything sweet, most animals, kindness, ABBA and Elvis

What I dislike:
People being rude, spiders, when people moan and do nothing about their situation

23rd September 2012.

Hello Bella, I am writing this diary to help you understand what has happened since your admission to hospital. You fell from your horse whilst riding in the grounds of Windsor in the afternoon of the 22nd of September. Your aunt was there watching you and Merlin, and says it was a complete accident and neither of you are to blame. The fall was rotational meaning Merlin landed on top of you. Whilst standing up he also kicked you in the head and stood on your stomach and lower leg. He was not injured in the fall.

You were airlifted from Windsor Castle to St Mary's Hospital in London where you were assessed by the resus team in A&E. Upon assessment you were sent to theatre where the surgeons attempted to stop the internal bleeding, reduce the pressure in your brain and temporarily set your foot. You were in theatre for just over four hours. You were already unconscious upon your arrival at hospital but we then sedated you to place you in an induced coma.

From theatre you were transferred to a private room in the ICU where your family were waiting. The doctors spoke to your family to inform them that you were critically ill and to explain how you were being treated. You remained sedated and with a ventilator breathing for you.

End.

23rd September 2012.

Your lung keeps collapsing despite the chest tube that has been placed to keep it draining. The surgeon has decided to go back into theatre to see if your broken ribs have damaged your lung.

Sarah, RN.

23rd September 2012.

The surgery went well. There was some damage to your lung which has now been repaired. The orthopaedic surgeons consulted this evening to decide when the best time to operate on your leg is.

Sarah, RN.

24th September 2012.

Always got to show us up hey Bel! William and I are doing shifts, he's coming with Kate or Camilla and I'm coming with Rose but I think she might have to swap out if any of the family want to come. Pa and Alex are literally refusing to go anywhere but the doctors only allow three of us in so when we are here one of them pops home for a shower and a sleep. Not that either of them actually spend that long away from you.