Chapter 15

Disclaimer: I do not own Detective Conan, Magic Kaitou or NCIS in anyway!

                              Chapter 15

                  Outside as the approaching Kaitou Kid Task Force and the NCIS crew they started to see the black plume of smoke and flames leap up from the warehouse district.
                  Before the Kaitou Kid Task Force Car even pulled to a halt Saguru Hakuba jumped out sprinting to the warehouse currently being devoured by flames.
                 "Kaito! KAITO!" Saguru screamed and tried to go into the inferno but was held back by some members of the Kaitou Kid Task Force.        
                 "KAITO! KAITO!" Saguru screamed fighting violently against the people restraining him and preventing him from going in to save someone he cared deeply about.
                "NO! DAMMIT! KAITO!" Came the devastating sounding cry! The NCIS crew exited their vehicle to hear and see the group trying to prevent the young man running into the burning warehouse.
                "Hakuba-san! It's too dangerous!" Kaitou Kid Task Force member # 2 exclaimed.
                "Dammit! Let me go! KAITO! KAITO!" Saguru screamed struggling and struggling.
                 "Kebu! The flames are too intense" Kaitou Kid Task Force member # 5 exclaimed and then Nakamori-kebu cursed violently.
                 "DAMMIT!" Nakamori-kebu exclaimed and started towards the inferno.
                 "Don't be stupid Kebu! It's too late" Kaitou Kid Task Force member # 10 exclaimed.
                 "Kaito's in there! I'm not letting someone I care about burn to death!" Nakamori-Kebu thundered and tried to get to the burning warehouse.
                 "I'm sorry" Heijii said. "There is nothing we can do..."
                  "You might give up but I would rather die than let any chance of saving Kaito go to waste." Saguru declared and then bit Kaitou Kid Task Force member # 13's arm who let go.
                   Saguru slipped through but was pulled away from building by the strong grip of Jethro Gibbs.
                  "I'm sorry son..." Agent Gibbs said. Saguru struggled and his hand was reached out towards the warehouse.        
                 "No! Kaito!" his voice was broken by sobs. "Kaito! Kaito no! Kaito!!!!"
                  Finally Saguru couldn't take it anymore and he fell to his knees and sobbed into his hands.
                  A car screeched to a halt and the roar of the inferno drowned the footsteps out as they ran in.
                "No!" came a cry. Everyone turned and looked to see a male clad in a hospital garb supported by a female with strawberry blonde hair.
               "K-Kudou!" Hattorri exclaimed. "Kudou!"
                "Dammit! Let me go Shiho!" the male declared "Kaito's in the middle of that!"
                "You're still injured! You'll reopen your wounds and die!" Shiho said.
               "I don't care! My brother is more important!" the male exclaimed.
               "Hattorri! Help me!" Shiho said and then Heijii helped Shiho hold Kudo back.
               "LET ME GO!" Kudou thundered. "HEIJII! LET ME GO!!!!"
                "Shinichi! It's too late" Heijii exclaimed. "I'm sorry..."
                "Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust." came a voice over the flames and Saguru's head shot up. Shinichi stilled suddenly recognizing the voice.
               "My purpose is complete, and Lady Selena as a witness..." came Kaito's voice.
               "KAITO! PLEASE! I BEG YOU!" Shinichi cried out and tears were falling down his cheeks.
                "I'm sorry Niisan. Live on and take the Crows down and I will be waiting on the other side for you" Kaito said
               "Kaito! I never got to tell you how much you mean to me!" Saguru said standing suddenly.
               "Don't fret Saguru. I know, I love you and you were my best friend and please take care of Aoko for me" Kaito said. "Shinichi...take care of mom..."
              "Alright" Shinichi replied, "Say hello to dad for me,"
               "I will, and keep up the good work in being a detective," Kaito said. "Ja ne"
               Finally Shinichi couldn't take it anymore and he slumped into Hattorri and Shiho's arms as he sobbed the tears falling as he broke down.
              "Shh...Shinichi..." Shiho soothed.
              "We'll take you all who are injured to the Bethesda." Gibbs said and then Heijii gently picked up Shinichi bridal style carrying him to the SUV. He was careful not to jar Shinichi's still healing wounds. Shiho followed them as they piled in. the others also headed to the hospital.
               A phone rang. "Everyone's Kung Fu fighting" rang out. Shinichi handed it over to Shiho who answered it.
              "Shinichi's phone" Shiho said and there was an intense conversation in Japanese before hanging up. 5 minutes later they arrived to see personnel ready to help them.
                "Name? Age? Blood type?" one asked as Shinichi was placed on the stretcher.
                "Shinichi Kaito Kudo, 17 A+" Shiho said for the Tokyo detective
                "Wha?" one said.
               "Who are you?" another asked.
               "His personal doctor, now shut up and do your job" Shiho hissed annoyed.
                "Shiho stop, please no more fighting." Shinichi said softly. "I just lost my younger brother, ..." he said. Saguru was on the stretcher nearby.
               "So it's true...so he was telling the truth. So you, and him were twins,"  Saguru said
                "Yeah," Shinichi said. "I was older by 5 minutes.," he said.
                "Both were reckless as hell," Shiho said adding her two cents in.
                   "One a detective the other a thief" Saguru said. "Dammit Kaito" he muttered.
                   "And why didn't you tell us that you had a brother?" Heijii asked.
                  "I...I couldn't risk it, I knew Kaito was Kid, and as an older brother I had to watch over my brother." Shinichi replied. "Oh god! How am I going to face mom? I failed to protect Kaito, and now he's dead.," he cried out.
                "Shinichi...." Heijii said.
                "Crows?" Gibbs asked.
                 Shinichi looked down at his hands, "Damn them.... Damn them all" he muttered. "They'll pay!"
              "Shinichi...." Shiho said.
              "They killed your sister Shiho! They killed my father and my brother!" Shinichi yelled looking up, his eyes hard. "And millions more. I WILL NOT LET THAT HAPPEN"
              "I know...we'll get them," Shiho said, as she put a hand on Shinichi's arm. Shinichi laid back and closed his eyes, as tears escaped down his cheeks as he was on the way to the hospital room.
              They moved away outside of the room where they could hear Saguru Hakuba sobbing. The normally composed British detective was sobbing and it broke their hearts.
              Heijii leaned against the wall, and slid down it the realization of everything that had happened hitting him hard.
               "Heijii..." Shiho said.
               "Dammit...." Heijii muttered.
                Nakamori-kebu was in shock. "God.... what will I tell Aoko...." he whispered. "And Chikage..." he covered his face in grief. The NCIS crew was staring at the scene with muted horror.
               "So where do we go from here?" Heijii asked Shiho.
                "We need to alert Chikage that her son is dead." Shiho said.
                 "How do you expect to get connected to Kuroba-san when Kaito-han made sure to hide them?" Heijii asked. "You know the threat of them."
                  Shiho pulled out her phone and dialed it.  
                 "Kaasan, I need a favor." She said. "I need to get a hold of Chikage-sama" she said and then listened to the rapid Japanese.
                Heijii handed over his phone and Shiho took it and put in the number.
               "Thanks Kaasan," Shiho said hanging up.
               "What are you going to tell Yukiko-han?" Heijii asked.
                "I will tell Chikage-sama, but it's the responsibility of Shinichi to tell Kaasan about Kaito-san" Shiho said.
                 She used Heijii's phone and waited with bated breath as the line was connected.
                "Kuroba Chikage? My name is Miyano Shiho and I am an acquaintance of Kudou and your son." She said. She listened and took a deep breath.  
                "I'm sorry Kuroba-sama, Kaito didn't make it." She said. "Kaito is dead, but he didn't die in vain, he avenged the first Kaitou Kid and destroyed the Pandora Gem"
                 There was sobbing and then a scream rang out so full of grief it hurt Heijii to hear it. He hated when this happened on cases.
               "Let me talk to her" came Shinichi's voice startling them all.
               "Ahou! You need to get back in bed!" Heijii said. Shinichi stood in the doorway using it as a crutch.
               "I need to talk to okaasan. Please." Shinichi said ignoring Heijii's words as he stumbled into the room.
                Shiho walked over and handed it to Shinichi, who put it to his ear. Okaasan?" he asked softly. "I tried so hard to protect Kaito..." he said softly. "It's my entire fault that Kaito's dead. If that bitch Vermouth hadn't ratted Kaito out when I was hurt, Kaito wouldn't have been so reckless." He said his voice turned bitter.
                "I know I know Kaasan, the duty of an older brother is to protect the younger brother." He turned choked. "And I failed. I wish I had died instead of Kaito, if it would have saved him..." everyone stilled at that. Saguru had entered having heard the grief filled scream.
                  He heard Shinichi speak. "If it would have saved Kaito and prevented Saguru such a heartbreak." Shinichi had said. "Then...I would have gladly traded places..." he was choked up "I'm so sorry okaa" he said. Shiho walked over and took the phone.
                 "Chikage-sama...Shinichi will call you back. He is still wounded from his own confrontation with Them" Shiho said and then they had a brief conversation before she hung up.
                "Shinichi..." Heijii said "Let me call Neechan, she'd be worried about you" he said. Shinichi gave a nod and remained quiet. Heijii pulled out the phone and dialled.
                "Neechan?" Heijii said. "How fast can you reach DC?" there was fast speaking. "Please...it's about Kaito" his voice cracked and then he hung up.
           "Nakamori-kebu, you'll want to call your daughter" Shiho said "She'll want to be here" and the inspector left the room to call his daughter.
             Finally there were rushed footsteps and a 17 year old rushed in followed by two others.
             "What's happened?" she demanded.
              "Kaito's dead." Shiho said softly and then Ran walked over and pulled Shinichi in her arms.
              "I'm so sorry Shinichi" Ran said softly.

                        The end
____________________________________
             Wow... we have reached the end. This story has taken seven years to get to this point. I would like to thank L-Chan for the inspiration and bouncing ideas during our Tai Chi and other PE classes during college. I would also like to thank Nightwish and various music for helping the words to flow. I would also like to say thanks Wattpad for giving me the opportunity to post this story.
            Thanks for reading my story.
           -Khaos no Sam