Fourteen

Nathen

"This isn't good." Nathen kept moving. He took the back exit out the library so they couldn't see him. They're going to wonder what happened to them, but looking at the state of his arm, he'll take raising Carly's suspicion than her seeing this.

"Are you going to be okay?" Tom asked.

"My arm hasn't fully healed from the first time. Now that I've touched it again, the healing process will take longer if it will heal at all," he started, "I can't believe I missed my window of opportunity. We're going to have to find a way to get that bracelet away from her again. That girl had it but gave it back. Just who is she anyway? I've never seen her here and didn't get any reports of a person from River City coming in."

"I don't know who she is. Maybe KP really does know her but isn't going to say anything about her."

"I also don't know who she is and curious to find out." KP rounded the corner, "But whoever she is, she surely isn't from River."

"Shouldn't you be watching the girl?" Nathen eyed him.

"My worry is where it should be. You should be worried about that hand of yours." KP's tone was serious. "It's good to know our product is still proving to be useful. Your games have been fun up until now, but let's put an end to them. I will not let you take another Uptown person as long as I'm here. No matter how much you may try, your efforts are worthless. I will always be a step ahead of you." KP gave them a stern look before he walked away. Nathen bawled up his half burned first. Being mocked by him is unacceptable.

"Let's go." Nathen told Tom. He thinks he got the upper hand. Once Miku is ready, that thought will be long gone.

They took the first exit out the building and used entrance three to the hideaway which was on the side of the school through a garage that hasn't been used since the two of them vacated the residents out of the house. Nathen opened the garaged and Tom closed it.

"You have to use your hand print." Nathen said since his print couldn't even identify who he was at this point. He took his hand and placed it on the wall below a hanging picture. Five green lights lit up by each accepted finger until the large tool cabinet moved over showing them the a hole in the ground like the one in the house; except this one is closer, so the path to the room isn't as far.

"Is that Miku?" Tom asked when they got to the room and saw one of the tables down and what appeared to be a person on it.

"Yes. I brought her in that day and have been working on her. I've gotten much further than those idiots have in the couple days I've had her. But she still needs an incredible amount of work to stay stable." Nathen looked to her lying on the table. The sooner they start their line of androids they'll be unstoppable. Even if KP or any other competing lab found out about their plan, they can't stop them without the proper equipment Nathen only has to power them.

"Get me the medicine mix for first degree burns. I don't know if that'll work after being hit by it twice, but it's all we have." Tom immediately went to the freezer to grab a tube he made for him. Nathen didn't plan on needing to use any of the medicines for himself.

"Don't you have anything stronger?" Tom asked.

"Remember, I originally got this for you. Never before have I gotten this badly burn. My skin is actually flaking off. Whatever they used to pack that band with is incredible. It's one thing for me to touch it. If it had been you, it would've been over. You've already been a test subject. Your system couldn't handle another attack."

"I know." He said. Tom has a dark past. He only barely survived being a human test subject before. KP knows and knows what could and couldn't kill him. He's the only inside help Nathen has so he can't let him die yet.

"Nathen, what's happening to the remote?" He pointed to his pocket. He looked and saw a white flashing light flickering. He pulled it out to find a corner of it melted.

"Was this damaged when you got the remote?" Nathen asked.

"No, it was perfectly fine when I got it the other day from the safe room."

"Then why-" Nathen couldn't get his words out when a short fused sounded. The remote was busted.

"Hook it up to the computer. Something isn't right." Nathen told him. This remote control the pods that were attached to the jewelry he handed out. If this is malfunction, then the people who are under it's control will also begin to act out.

"I can't do anything until my hand heals. You have work on the remote. In the meantime, I'll continue to look at Miku's scans." No matter what, Nathen needed to keep moving forward. KP was doing the same and couldn't let him keep the upper hand. That also reminds him of that girl that claims she's from River City. Anyone who's there now is either a subject of the labs or working for them. If she's really from there, she's no ordinary girl.