One

Nathen

"Today marks a year, doesn't it?" Nathen didn't take his eyes off the screen while scrolling through his email. He sighed as he leaned back in his chair waiting for both an email and Tom's reply.

"Yes, it does. The last time someone came from Uptown was a year ago today." Tom said from behind him, fumbling with papers.

Nathen didn't even have to look to know Tom had to check the files in the drawer of the desk he was sitting at. His memory wasn't as great as his. However, Nathen didn't really want the reply from him. It was only a distressing reminder. He was more worried about the email that finally came through. He opened the new mail which displayed across the eighty-inch monitor.

"They keep asking what are we still doing here." It was like a broken record. Time after time, Nathen read the same kind of email.

Obviously, if there was a way to get out of the situation, he would. No one would voluntarily want to stay trapped in the same location for two years. But that hasn't stopped them from sending yet another message asking the same question,

-Why are you still in Midtown?!-

"We can't do anything without the needed power source." Nathen ran his hand threw his hair in frustration.

"They act like this is our fault no one is coming. But maybe it is. How do we keep getting so careless? I thought we successfully put this town under complete mind control. How is word still getting around?" He hit the table in frustration.

"That doesn't mean outsiders can't see a problem." Tom turned to Nathen, "Only the people here are oblivious. People outside are highly alert of something going on. And because of that, Midtown is on the verge of falling into another forgotten town much like the other one did since we aren't getting new resident and the current residents are either leaving or... disappearing." Tom air quoted.

"Most of the residents from Uptown have high suspicion about us here. They refuse to come this way much less reside here."

"They have suspicion of us here? Or the people?" Nathen asked. Getting found out was his worst fear. If word were to finally get out that he has been tamed to one town, Ace and his team back home will see that he hasn't been doing his job.

"The people. They have suspicion of the people. Not us. You know, the 'they're all sketchy and criminals in Midtown' type of thing." Tom clarified. Of course, that's what they think. Midtown was a dump before they came. They're just helping the dying populous see what it's really like once the lie they're living is gone and the sad truth is left.

Nathen lives on a small undiscovered island in the Mediterranean which is on the other side of the world. They always said not to let a kid do a man's job. But they always forget almost a decade ago when he was only nine, he saved everyone from a home invasion of the terrorists that were planning a nuclear bomb drop on them with a mini bomb of his own that he secretly created himself.

That's why they trusted Nathen to go for the Pims lab takeover. They just forgot to inform him that they had their own little prodigy out to protect their name.

"Has he tried anything lately?" Nathen went on to opening a different folder on the home screen labeled FAILED ATTEMPS. Since their little prodigy has been getting in their way, it came to a point where they had to document what does and doesn't work on him.

"He hasn't made any moves since our last altercation two weeks ago."

"I see." Nathen said scrolling through the folder. Two weeks ago was the last update he saw. He went to click on file when he heard his phone begin to ring.

"This better be good." He answered the call.

"You're getting your wish. One girl your age moving in. Don't screw up." Nathen didn't get a chance to respond before the line disconnected. That was obviously Tank from their crew they got separated from. He's to kiss the ground Nathen walks on, but he'll dismiss that tone of his since he gave him a new lead he had been waiting a year for.

"I think we just received our one-year anniversary gift," He said, "We might just have another encounter soon."

"Was that a call from central?" Tom asked with hope in his voice. Nathen smiled and nodded.

"We don't have a lot of time to waste. They're starting to get impatient with me. We can't keep letting them down. It's time for us to get out of here. And time for me to make our new Midtown residents feel welcomed."

Nathen stood and walled to the desk Tom was sitting at. He went in the last drawer and reached to the back of it, pulling out a little remote. The small remote only had three black buttons and he pressed the middle extending his arm to a wall across the room. The room echoed with a roaring sound as the plain metal wall slowly turned and flipped to expose their wall of weapons.

"It's been too long since I got to press that button." Nathen was more excited by the second. He put the remote back in the drawer and grabbed his notebook atop the desk.

"I can't have you nearing death again, so I'm taking charge. I'll begin making new medicines in case. But first and foremost, I have to relocate."

Tom was Nathen's helping hand, but he knows his poor health has cost them many times in the past. Nathen needed to make sure he would be covered for anything.

But for the time being, he's to move himself closer to where their new resident will be. The printer across the room sounded. He went to grab what was just sent to them. It was all the information he needed on the girl and her family that was coming.

"This one is by the school. That means we'll all be close to each other." He studied the information more when he noticed her move in date.

"She's moving in Friday. That gives us two days to get started. No more waiting around. We have to start now and do our best to make sure KP doesn't find out just yet."

—————————-

Hi all. Thanks for getting this far! This was origianally a short story I wrote long ago, but decided to turn it into a full length book. It starts off kinda slow but trust me, it picks up. So please read, comment, like and share if you can~ Thank you!