Seventeen

KP

"The objective is to create the best weapons of mass destruction without actual guns and to keep weapons looking as inconspicuous as possible. "

"What do you mean?" KP expected Carly would be confused. After hauling her over to his temporary place of residency since his other place was set on fire, he can't as thoroughly explain to her as he would like. They're even sitting on boxes he pulled out in the living room since he hasn't had time to get all new furniture for this place.

"Both Nathen and I come from a long line of creators. However, Nathen's side has taken things into their own hands after certain countries used their goods for their civil wars claiming it as their own. Now I believe their people are planing their own war and possibly worse. " Carly's eyes widen but she didn't say a word.

"Nathen came here to try and raid our labs for information. I've been doing my best to keep him trapped in this town for as long as I possibly can so I and my people can figure out what exactly it is he's trying to get from us. I have my theories, but nothing is confirmed." He told her.

"How exactly are you trapping him?" Carly asked. KP walked over to one of his boxes stacked by the window and pulled out a small black cube he placed in his hand.

"Shield open." Carly watched as KP spoke. She looked confused because to her eye, nothing about the little black box changed.

"Try touching the box." KP held the box to her. Carly was still confused. She was hesitant, but slowly reached out to the box but her hand stopped before reaching it.

"What's going on?" She pulled back and tried again.  Her fingers shook trying to push forward to grab it.

"Don't try so hard. If you take too long trying to penetrate the shield, the shock activation will turn on."

"Shock activation?"

"This is the old prototype of the invisible shield that is now up and active. You know how trying to put the same poles of magnets together is virtually impossible without a very strong force to hold them together? This works kind of like that. This goes against the kind of energy Nathen and Tom have with the same kind of energy. If they even get close to the town's border, that shock wave will activate."

"But, how does that little thing work around the whole town?" Carly was trying to understand, but she was still confused.

"This is just the test form. Nothing can penetrate inside this box's perimeter of six inches. Now, it's not even a box, but an electronic radio wave going through four posts set at the town's edges creating a dome like shield. So walking, driving, or flying would be impossible for them to try to get out."

"And he hasn't tried to take it down?"

"He has. Numerous times. But he's been missing the necessary power to complete his means of take down." KP told her.

"And what does that mean?"

"He can't take it down himself. Most of his outside sources can't get in because they carry the same energy as they do. So he has to wait until someone with a high enough compatible energy to the posts comes here."

"Do-does that have something to do with me?" She asked. She was beginning to put the pieces together.

"Yes it does."

"Is this why people from Uptown stopped coming here? Not just me, but it has something to do with us, right? My parents and I came in no problem."

"You're very perceptive," KP said actually relived she was handling it better than others, "the people in Midtown have little hope, care, and energy. Half the people here are barely fighting their will to live much less could fight a high-powered post that's near impossible to break by the human hand. Those of you in Uptown have this higher level of energy because of your better living. I know this all sounds strange. But you have to know that he's serious about trying to find the right opening to take you into his lab and do testing on you. With that bracelet I gave you, he hasn't been able to touch you which is why you're still here." Carly immediately looked to the bracelet.