Six

KP

"And what's your first name?" The Woman at the check in counter asked.

"K." He answered reluctantly.

"K as in K-A-Y?"

"No. It's just the letter K." He clarified for her. No one ever understood his name. He didn't have the patients to explain either. If it weren't for Carly, he wouldn't be checking in to the hospital right now anyway.

"Okay, you can follow me." She took him to the back. Carly and Tom stayed alone in the waiting room. With each step away from them, KP became more and more anxious and somewhat restless. Tom could easily take Carly and go. He needed to get back to them as soon as possible.

"Wait here, the doctor will be with you shortly." The woman took him to a room and closed the curtain. He got in relatively quick, but there's no telling how long he'll be waiting in there.

It had only been a few minutes since he sat in the room. Those few minutes felt like an eternity until he saw the curtains move again.

"Hello there. Before the doctor comes in, I'm just going to see what's going on here and get your blood pressure." Another woman came in and went over to the computer. "Tell me, what happened to you?"

"I was chased by a dog." KP repeated the lie.

"What kind of dog did you encounter to do this to you? I don't see any scratches or bite marks. Are you sure it was a dog?" She looked him over.

"A dog chased me and I fell in the ditch over by the construction site near the high way." He needed to adjust the story for a nurse to believe it.

"Oh that must have been one nasty fall. Doesn't look too serious, but you may want to get your head examined to make sure. Let me see your arm and get your blood pressure hun." She sat in the chair in front of him as he gave her his arm. This was usually the part where his doctor visits get cut short.

"Your pressure is a little high for your age. I'll be sure to let the doctor know everything Mr..." She looked at his name on the paperwork she had. It was the first time he heard a chuckle from a nurse after seeing his name. He didn't bother asking what was so funny.

He took that time to reached in his back pocket and grabbed a small syringe. He stepped behind her and shoved it into her neck and pressed down, injecting her with the fluids inside. It didn't take long before she collapsed to the ground.

He hurried to the computer and changed the information about him. To Midtown's records, KP doesn't exist, and he plans to keep it that way. He's been in these situations one too many times which is why he keeps his personally made knockout jell on him at all times. She'll be fine once she wakes up. She just won't remember this little encounter.

He went through the cabinets to address his own wounds so he could quickly get back to Carly before it was too late. Once he cleaned up and shredded everything with his info on it, he hurried out to the waiting room looking for Tom and Carly.

"KP." He was relieved when he heard her say his name.

"What did they say? Are you Okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Just a few scratches is all." He said hardly looking at her. He searched for Tom when he saw him walking in from outside. "I should be able to make it on my own from here." KP was still fixed on Tom. He realized he probably wasn't after Carly yet. They want him out the picture first before moving to her. If he's gone, then Nathen doesn't have to worry about rushing to take her in.

"Are you sure? How far is your home from here?" She asked. He couldn't very well lie and say he lived close. That could make her suspicious of him.