Twenty Three

Carly

They finally made it to their location. But it wasn't over. They thought they lost everyone, but then she heard her name being called.

"Carly is that you?" Lodia shouted as she ran towards them.

"No, don't come near me!" Carly shouted back. She didn't want her near her. She didn't want her to try and grab hold of her or possibly shoot her again.

"Carly, it's me. I'm back to normal."

"How do I know that?"

"I... don't know how to prove that to you," Lodia admitted, "I can't remember what I did. I'm sorry if I hurt you in any way." Carly could hear in her tone she meant it. Her eyes were normal. The rage she had a minute ago was gone. But she still wasn't sure. Lodia stepped towards her and as a reflex, she stepped back. She grabbed hold of her aching arm. Lodia watched as she saw blood covering Carly's fingers.

"I did hurt you..." Carly couldn't respond. With all the commotion, she hadn't realized she was hit with one of her shots in her arm until they started running again.

"We got bigger problems right now."

Both Lodia and Carly looked to KP who was walking towards something. He was looking at a pole in the ground. A large grey box was attached to it. It appeared to have been busted and sparks were shooting out everywhere.

"What is this?" Carly asked. KP reached for the box when smoke came out of it.

"It's almost impossible to destroy this. I used the hidden energy we created." KP said. Then he turned to Lodia. "What kind of energy are you powered by?"

"A rare neutral energy. I have neither positive nor negative energy." She said almost as if she didn't want to admit it.

"That explains how you got in here without us being able to pick up who you were. And how you managed to short circuit the tower." KP said as he continued to study the flickering grey box.

"I have to go back to River." He stated.

"Why?" Carly asked him.

"One of her shots hit the shield post." He said. This was the thing he said was keeping Nathen and Tom trapped in Midtown.

"This is the thing you told me about?"

"Yes. This is where I placed the post on the North side of Midtown. This was one of the stronger output ones since he used to try to get out this way the most. If he finds out that the post has been damaged, he'll be able to take it down since it's not as strong. I have to go back to River to get the supplies I used when I created this since I couldn't keep such a strong component with me."

"When I came to, I saw he was out on the ground and so was that android of his. I don't think Tom has the ability to do anything on his own, so if you hurry before Nathen recovers, you can get it back to working." Lodia told him.

"I'll have to do just that. Carly, you'll have to watch out until I get back. You and Lodia can make sure he doesn't try anything."

"A-are you sure about that?" Carly looked to Lodia not comfortable with this idea.

"As you should now know, Lodia is not human. She is an android. She isn't fully functioning yet and is easily effected by certain sound waves disrupting her regular command functions. That's why she did what she was told. Nathen must have known that and made that android he has emit the sound." KP explained.

"The android they have is designed to follow the commands of specifically programmed people which is why she listens to Nathen and Tom. I on the other hand was design to learn and act on my own, but because of that error that happens when certain frequency waves are emitted, I am put under other control." Lodia added. Carly was starting to understand. That must be the same thing that happened back at the jewelry store the other day and why she destroyed the diamond and said she couldn't remember anything once it was all over.