Twenty

Carly

An increase of patients being admitted to the hospital is the headlining story on all the news stations. Carly's mother was one of those patients. Some went right in and came right out. Her mom hasn't left since they took her in Friday. It's Monday now and she still hasn't woken up. They don't know what happened. They can't find an answer. At this rate, Carly doesn't know what will happen to her mom. No matter how she tries to distract herself, she keeps going back to that diamond necklace. If it was really some weapon Nathen had, then it had to be the cause. Now that it's broken, it shouldn't be a problem anymore, right? Carly hasn't been able to get a hold of KP to ask him. She really hopes to see him today. She needs to know what happened to her mother.

Walking to school felt stranger than usual. Nathen wasn't anywhere to be found, and neither was KP. Whenever they're both gone, it makes her anxious to know what's happening. Is KP out making more of those strange boxes or fighting crime to save the world? Never in Carly's seventeen years would she have thought that could be a possibility. Until moving to Midtown.

"Carly!" Someone called from behind. It scared her more than it should have to see Lodia.

"You okay?" She asked obviously seeing the fear.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You don't look it. Did something else happen with your mother?"

"No, still the same thing with her. I'm just... I have a funny feeling about today is all."

"You think something's going to happen?"

"I don't know, maybe. I could just be paranoid because of my mom." Carly told her. Her mom being in the hospital was a concern, but there was something else that she wasn't sure what it was. She looked at Lodia when she noticed KP in the distanced behind her.

"I need to go talk to KP." Carly took off. She couldn't let him get away this time.

"Hey, KP!" Carly called out to him. His motions were slow, but he stopped and turned to her.

"Are you alright?"

"Hi Carly. I'm alright. Just a bit of a headache is all." He said. He looked pale and seemed to be sweating. That couldn't just be a headache.

"You don't look alright at all. You need to go to the doctor or go home."

"It'll pass. I'll be fine." He said trying to walk away.

"You're not even walking straight. How are you fine?" She asked. He stopped and took a few breathes.

"Okay, maybe I'm not alright. I can't see straight." He blinked hard trying to clear his vision.

"You seriously need a doctor."

"No. I have medicine at home I can take."

"I'll help you get there."

"Carly, why did you take off on me?" Lodia came over.

"Can you help me take him home? He looks like he can pass out any minute now." Lodia looked at KP.

"You're having a reaction to something." She told him. KP's eyes widen in shock.

"How do you know that?"

"I've seen this before. You need to do something quick before it's too late." Both KP and Carly looked to her. What does she mean reaction and how does she know?

"I can get home myself. You two should go to class. I'll be alright getting there. I'll be back after I take something." KP started slowly walking away. He still sounded weak, but it was almost like he was angry now. Carly wanted to make sure he got home, but seeing as he doesn't want to be bothered, She let him be for now. Her chance to talk to him has once again left.