Part 2: Don't You Want Me

A week goes by and no sign of the four boys. Sofie finds it hard to hide her disappointment every time someone who isn't them walks through the door. It's a Thursday night, but there's a pretty solid crowd buzzing around the bar. Kara is at home sick, Jim still hasn't turned up, so Matt is stuck doing payroll in the back. So, they're short-staffed tonight - not that it makes much of a difference. It's nothing Sofie can't handle. Ben is in the DJ booth doing his best to spin records. He's definitely not as good as Kara. People audibly boo when he puts on Air Supply. Sofie doubles over with laughter as Ben flips her off from the booth.

"I miss the girl from last week," a voice says from beside her.

Sofie jumps and turns. It's him, standing right in front of her, as gorgeous as ever. His friends have taken up the same booth as last week, watching the two of them with extreme interest. She stares blankly at him, trying to keep her jaw from hitting the floor.

Say something cool. Say anything cool.

"She had way cooler music," he continues while Sofie struggles to find anything to say.

She stammers and lets out a nervous laugh. He grins at her.

"I should just hire her full time."

"You should. This dude is killing the vibe."

"Ben tries his best."

He nods.

"You want a drink?" She asks.

"Actually, I was hoping for a dance, but..."

He gestures to the DJ booth. Sofie stifles a giggle.

"I'm on the clock."

"Come on, not even one dance?"

"Who would run the bar?"

He gestures behind him to his friends.

"My buddy makes a decent martini."

"Unfortunately, my standards are a little higher than decent."

He looks her up and down, his gaze intense. She feels a surge of adrenaline rush through her and the butterflies come back. She blushes.

"Well, in that case, I'll take four beers." He slides a twenty across the bar top and bites his lip. Fuck, he's so cute. It's almost too much. Almost.

"I'm gonna get that dance, though," he adds.

Sofie grabs four bottles of Budweiser and goes to hand him his change, but he shakes his head and disappears to the back of the bar. She tucks the rest of the bills into her tip jar. A few songs later, Ben finally gets people back on the dance floor with "Sweet Dreams". Sofie gives him the thumbs up and he nods, clearly proud of himself. She laughs. As she's loading glasses into the rack, she spots two girls approach the back table. Drunk, trying not to giggle, and dressed with the specific intent of picking someone up. They're definitely asking them to dance. The platinum one stares them down, smoking, while the one with the long dark hair shakes his head. The little one and his friend stand up, taking the girl's hands and dragging them to the dance floor. Sofie feels her heart sink just a little.

This is stupid, he's just a guy. You're a grown-ass woman. There are thousands just like him in Santa Carla.

Sofie feels his eyes on her. His friend and one of the girls lock lips almost immediately, but the little one seems less interested in his dance partner, preferring to focus on Sofie instead. She watches them dance, watches his hands run up and down the girl's hips and thighs. Sofie swears she can feel his fingers on her skin. His friends are staring at her, snickering and exchanging knowing glances. She tries to keep her eyes downcast. She decides to grab a few limes from the mini fridge below the bar and a small paring knife. Busy work - anything to keep her focus off of him.