Part 8: Everything Zen

Her eyes flutter open. The room is pitch black, yet she can still see every single object clear as day. She takes a few moments to assess the situation. She's still in her turtleneck and jeans - groggy, but otherwise okay. No headache, no body aches. Just exhaustion. Sofie eases herself off of the bed, taking extra care not to wake up Marko who is sleeping peacefully beside her. She peels her clothes off and gently opens her dresser to retrieve a large black t-shirt and a pair of cotton shorts. As she slips on her new clothes, she looks down at her bandaged hand and pulls back the gauze. The cut has healed, replaced by a shiny red scar. Sofie looks confused, running her finger along the raw skin. It doesn't hurt anymore.

"What the hell..."

Her mind is still foggy, but she feels an intense hunger that has begun to grow in the pit of her stomach. It's a dull ache that she's never felt before. Quietly, she pads into the kitchen and opens the fridge door, grabbing everything she can - meat, fruit, yogurt, peanut butter. Anything and everything looks incredible. She begins to tear into all of it like a wild animal, but the hunger pangs only grow stronger. Sofie whimpers, polishing off an entire jar of peanut butter in record time. She turns back to the fridge to grab more food, but something stops her. The hunger refuses to dissipate and she feels sick from eating so fast. The kitchen is a mess, bits of fruit and chicken bone litter the formerly clean tile. Ichabod creeps in to gobble up the remnants, staying as far away from her as instinct allows.

"This is useless," she mumbles.

She closes the refrigerator door, leaving the equivalent to a natural disaster behind, and walks back into the bedroom. Marko is still fast asleep. She climbs in next to him and he instinctively wraps an arm around her waist. Sofie grazes his forearm with her fingertips, smiling as she studies his face. Somehow, whenever she looks at him, it feels like she's seeing him for the first time. She feels butterflies in her stomach and a light flush creeps across her chest. She lifts her head from the pillow to kiss him softly. He lets out a soft sigh in response and pulls her closer.

"Hey you," he rumbles sleepily.

"I could get used to waking up next to you," she says, placing gentle kisses along his collarbone. She hears him sigh and smiles into his skin.

"Likewise," he purrs. "How're you feeling?"

Sofie lifts her head to look at him. His eyes are half-closed and a big, stupid grin is plastered on his face.

"Better," she says softly. "Thanks for staying with me."

Marko presses his cool lips to hers. A chill runs down her spine and she melts into him.

"What happened last night?" She asks as he breaks the kiss. Ichabod jumps up on the bed, takes one look at Marko, and hisses. Marko laughs, sticking his hand out.

"Hey, bud. I thought we were all right."

Sofie swats at the cat, who hisses at her.

"Hey!" Sofie shouts. "Watch your mouth! Idiot cat."

Ichabod lets out a low growl and leaps off of the bed, trotting back into the hallway.

"Are you hungry?" Marko asks. He pushes himself up onto his elbows and turns to her. "I'm starved."

The mention of food almost turns her stomach.

"Marko!" Sofie snaps. "What the fuck happened last night?"

He fiddles with a loose string on the comforter, nervously chewing on his lip.

"David likes to mess with newbies. That's all."

"Newbies? What are you -"

Marko leans over and gently grasps her chin, brushing his lips across her jawline. Sofie moans softly and hears him giggle as he kisses her deeply, pulling her onto his lap. She runs her fingernails up and down his back, eliciting a growl from the depths of his throat. Sofie grinds against him, her mouth fighting for dominance over his. Marko's hands wander up her shirt to grip her waist. He tears her mouth away from hers and places gentle bites up and down her neck. Sofie gasps. It's a losing battle, but she doesn't really mind. She throws her head back and giggles as he makes his way down to her collarbone.