Part 27: hold on

Sofie steels herself and walks outside. Marko follows. She can feel his protective gaze on her immediately. Matt takes her place at the bar and begins to pour drinks. The detective isn't difficult to spot. He sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the grimy punks of Santa Carla. He has a chiseled jaw like a boxer, dark hair that's almost effortlessly styled and slicked back, and a crisp blue suit with a bright red tie to match. He's a hell of a dresser, but far too put together to be in here. Sofie can spot his badge sticking out of his blazer pocket from a mile away. David, Paul, and Dwayne are staring daggers at him. Dwayne leans into David and whispers something that Sofie can't hear. David merely nods and walks toward the bar to keep an eye on things. The moment he spots Sofie, he makes a beeline for her and Marko. She draws in a deep breath.

"Here we go," she whispers.

"Just be cool," Marko mumbles. "You don't know anything, you haven't seen him in three years."

"Sofie Campbell?" The detective asks.

"That's me."

"I'm Detective Ridge with the Santa Carla PD."

She reaches out to shake his hand.

"What can I do for you, detective?"

As Marko slides an arm around her waist, the detective glances over at him.

"Mind if Sofie and I talk in private, son?"

A small smile flickers across Marko's lips. Sofie knows he's not going to let this guy win.

"I think my wife would prefer if I stuck around."

Her stomach flutters and she almost has to bite through her lip to keep from smiling. Logically, she knows that their bond is much deeper than any human concept like marriage, but it thrills her to no end to actually hear the words come out of his mouth. Marko looks down at her, beaming.

You like that?

It's got some kick-ass to it, Sofie thinks.

The detective sighs and runs a hand through his hair.

"All right. Is there someplace less noisy we can go?"

"Follow me," she says as she goes to lead him to the staff room, Marko squeezes her hand.

"What about outside?" He suggests, stopping before Sofie has a chance to open the door.

Sofie narrows her eyes at him.

What are you doing?

Laddie's in there.

So?

He's a runaway. Runaways mean police reports. Police reports mean...

Investigations.

Marko nods and Sofie sighs. Detective Ridge watches both of them with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion. She can see the wheels turning in the back of his mind. He's not quite sure what to make Marko and Sofie's prolonged eye contact. Sofie takes a deep breath.

"Outside is good," she offers. "We can go to the staff parking lot. There's nobody there."

The detective gestures toward the back door.

"Whatever's easiest for you."

They step outside. Marko offers Detective Ridge a cigarette, which he gratefully accepts. Sofie and Marko lean up against the wall while the detective pulls a small notepad from his pocket.

"Miss Campbell."

"Missus Thomas," Marko corrects him, with a wide grin.

Sofie gently steps on his foot.