Part 40: medicine

Marko races back to the bar, just barely dodging speeding cars on his way there. Horns honk and people scream curses out their car windows. He laughs and speeds up, howling at the stars as he careens toward the bar. Toward Sofie. Everything is going to be okay. He can feel it in his bones.

He leaps off of his bike and sprints toward the front of the building, grabbing Ben's face as he reaches the door. Marko laughs maniacally and gives him a giant kiss on the cheek. Ben steps backward, shocked and stammering while touching his cheek.

"Hey... Marko."

"Ben! It's good to see you!"

"You good, dude?"

Marko grins and pats Ben on the shoulder.

"I'm fucking great. Hey, is my girl around here?"

"In the back office."

"Thanks, man."

He snakes through the dance floor, through writhing sweating bodies and booze-soaked breath. Their heartbeats thump violently in his ears. He realizes just how hungry he is. His salivary glands tingle and he fights the urge to grab the first person who walks past him. He'll have to feed tomorrow night. The music fades slightly as he approaches the back office. As he goes to grasp the door handle, he hears a voice cut through the air. His head whips to the left.

"You can't go in there, man!"

Marko turns on his heel. An unfamiliar face behind the bar. A tall guy, about Dwayne's height, with short black hair slicked back off of his face. His arms are heavily tattooed and there's a cigarette tucked behind his ear.

"I'm Sofie's fiance," Marko says, grinning.

"Marko?"

"That's me."

The bartender looks instantly apologetic.

"Shit, I'm sorry, man. We just get a lot of people thinking that's the bathroom. You can go in."

"Thanks, brother."

Marko bursts through the employee door. The room is empty. He frowns.

"Sof?"

Out of the corner of his eye, he sees her head peek out of a small office tucked in the back.

"Marko? What are you doing here so early?"

He rushes her, grabs her by the waist, and lifts her off of the floor, swinging her around the staff room. Sofie giggles and wraps her legs around his waist as he covers her face in messy kisses. She loves every second of it. It's like they're just kids.

"What's gotten into you?!"

Marko stops spinning, grabs both sides of her face and kisses her hard. She gasps and giggles against him. He breaks the kiss and runs his fingers through her hair.

"Let's go back to your place."

She frowns.

"I'm not done payroll."

"Bring it home with you."

"Yeah, like you're going to let me work. I know you when you get in these moods."

"Oh, you do, do you?"

"Mmhmm," she says through a giggle. "You only want one thing."

"Pizza."

Sofie rolls her eyes and Marko taps his chin.

"Egg rolls?"

"You're being a brat on purpose."