Part 22: firecracker

They stop in front of a liquor store. David and the boys head inside while Sofie leans against Marko's bike and lights a cigarette. She lets out a soft sigh. She thought she would feel better after Kevin's departure from this world, but she's not so sure. She definitely feels different. He's no longer a weight on her mind, but the damage has already been done. Sofie rubs her face and groans into her hands. If the only part of her humanity that she lost was the PTSD that Kevin had left behind, she'd be entirely okay with that. She flicks her cigarette and watches it bounce across the pavement when she hears the door open. The boys saunter out, their faces bloodied and they're all holding bottles of booze while wearing shit-eating grins.

"What did you do?" She asks, her voice dripping with suspicion.

Paul and Dwayne chuckle while Marko kisses her. She greedily licks the blood dripping from his lips before turning to David, who shrugs and grins.

"He asked for ID. We didn't have any."

Marko chuckles and Sofie frowns at them. She grabs the bottle out of his hands and turns it over. Whiskey. The cheap shit. She looks up at him and he gives a helpless shrug.

"I thought you were getting beer."

"Oh, now she's picky," David chastises her as he gets onto his bike.

Without a word, Paul darts back into the store and comes out with a six-pack under his arms. He tosses the boys individual cans and they slip them into their pockets.

"Happy?" He asks.

"Very," Sofie quips, sticking out her tongue.

"Let's go," David says, revving his engine.

They drive back to the hotel. Laddie is watching TV. Dwayne picks him up and carts him off to bed, much to the boy's protest, while the rest of the boys sprawl out in front of the TV and dump their treasure trove of alcohol in the center of the circle they've made. David rips the cap off of a whiskey bottle and raises it to Sofie.

"To putting the past behind us."

Sofie chuckles and tucks her hair behind her ear as Paul tosses her a beer. They pass the bottle around, taking swigs and trying not to let on how disgusting it tastes. It's like someone bottled gasoline and liquid garbage. Paul holds it up in front of him before passing it to Dwayne, who sniffs at the bottle and grimaces. David chuckles, exhaling a large cloud of smoke.

"Vampire or not, I don't think I can stomach this shit," Dwayne mutters.

Marko grins and pulls a much more expensive bottle of whiskey out of the lining of his jacket. Paul frowns.

"You're holding out on us?!"

"Just a little," he chuckles.

"Fuck this shit," Dwayne mumbles. He hurls the cheap bottle into one of the oil drums and it bursts to life. The warmth feels nice. Marko passes around the bottle and they all drink, savoring the warmth of the fire and the whiskey in their bellies. It's quiet for a while. The boys look contemplative. It's the least rowdy she's ever seen them. Usually, one of them is breaking something, breaking into something, or they're roughhousing and punching each other. Sofie sighs and leans on Marko's shoulder. David breathes deeply.

"I think we should turn the kid. Tomorrow night."

Sofie's guts seize up as the rest of the boys nod. She can't say no to David, despite the fact that she keeps trying to. Instead, she's quiet and takes a few big gulps from the bottle. Marko glances at her, his eyebrows knit together in confusion.

You wanna talk?

Later.

Marko nods quickly and takes the bottle from her.