Part 20: dangerous type

They stand in the empty parking lot behind the bar. It's quiet. Peaceful. She can hear crickets chirping softly in the distance. The wind is light, rustling gently through the trees. She hears the soft grind of Marko's Zippo as he lights another cigarette. Smoke swirls around them. Sofie glances at him and gestures toward the darkness.

"Is this what you wanted to show me?" She asks.

"You're going to fly tonight."

Sofie's jaw drops. She's not sure what she just heard.

"I'm sorry?"

"You asked if there was anything you didn't know about being a vampire. David said I should start teaching you - revealing secrets and all that."

"But... flying?"

"It's easy," Marko says, pulling on his cigarette and tossing it over his shoulder. "Watch me."

He bends his knees and jumps, shooting up into the air like a rocket. Sofie gasps and puts her hand over her mouth and watches as he floats back down to the pavement, landing softly. He turns to her and smiles.

"See? Easy!"

"Yeah, that looks really easy..." she mumbles, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Marko walks behind her and puts his hands on her shoulders. He begins to gently squeeze and massage them, kissing her earlobe.

"Relax. Bend your knees."

She does as instructed.

"Now, imagine you're incredibly light like you're a feather."

Her mind is barren. She rubs her eyes.

"Okay."

He pinches her sides softly. She yelps and collapses into giggles.

"You're not imagining," he scolds her gently.

Sofie takes a deep breath and closes her eyes. She pictures herself hovering above the pavement ever so delicately, before shooting into the air like a firework on the brink of explosion.

"Good," Marko purrs. "Now. Jump."

She springs upward and barely feels herself shooting into the darkness. It's not until she feels her hair billowing behind her that she actually opens her eyes to see almost the entirety of the Santa Carla boardwalk below her. People look like ants and she looks out to see the entire city glittering beneath the moonlight. It's beautiful. It's fucking high up, but it's beautiful. Sofie gasps and giggles. She did it. After 22 years, she finally conquered her fear of heights. She manages to turn herself around in the air and look down at Marko, who is beaming up at her. He's still beautiful even from miles away.

"Marko!" she yells.

"What?!"

"Look at me!" she exclaims, extending her arms and laughing. "I did it!"

"Proud of you, sugar!"

She looks around and feels her body beginning to fully relax. She's surprised at how little this freaks her out. She's always been afraid of heights. But this is different. It feels like the sky is cradling her. It's nice. She gives herself a few moments to take in the view and take in some deep breaths, trying to let go of the worst parts of her humanity - her fears, her regrets. She feels it all begin to seep out of her body. The sensation is euphoric; almost as good as drinking blood. She takes a few more deep breaths and suddenly feels the urge to feel her feet back on the pavement.

"Marko?"

"What is it, babydoll?"

"How do I get down?"