Part 34: electric feel

The nightmare comes again. Vivid and loud, but this time, Sofie is watching herself throughout the entire dream as though she's outside of her own body. She runs to Marko and hears David scream like a wounded animal before rushing the three figures desperately trying to escape the cave through some kind of narrow pathway. Paul and Dwayne surround their wounded brother, using all of their collective strength to keep him still as he thrashes against the floor. She gets flashes of a face she doesn't recognize. A young man with shoulder-length dark hair. His features are cloudy, and he fades as quickly as he appeared. Marko's screams are so loud that the sound causes her to jolt from sleep, drenched in an icy cold sweat. A boulder sits in the pit of her stomach. Her mouth is a desert. Panic-stricken eyes dart around the room, seeking familiarity. For a moment, she forgets where she is. She hears Ichabod meow softly at her feet and looks down at Marko, who sleeps peacefully beside her. Her hands immediately cover her face and she sighs into her fingers. She should tell someone. David, Max, anyone who will take her seriously. This has to mean something. Marko groans and shifts in his sleep.

"Sofie?" He asks, his voice thick and as foggy as her brain feels.

"I'm here," she mumbles.

He sits up, rubbing the sleepiness out of his eyes.

"You okay?"

She wants to tell him, but she knows she's just going to hear the same thing she heard last time. He's not going anywhere, her brain is just working things out. She doesn't want to have the same conversation over and over again, so she bites back her panic, lifts her head, and smiles at him. Her expression is soft and gentle. He buys it instantly.

"Yeah. Just a weird dream."

The moment his arms wrap around her waist, she's at home.

"You're still having those?" He asks.

"Guess I can't quite shake my humanity."

"They'll go away eventually," he murmurs as his hands reach up to massage the knots in her back. Sofie always forgets just how strong he is. She groans softly as the tension melts from her body. His teeth tug on her ear and a low growl escapes his throat.

"I love you," he purrs.

She giggles and falls into him like he's the only thing that has ever mattered in the world. They roll around on the bed, exploring each other like it's the first time they've ever touched. She loves it; she loves him. He always makes her feel like today is the first day of the rest of her life. Sofie kisses him deeply, determined to pull every ounce of sweetness from his mouth. His hands drift across her body, and she groans softly beneath his touch. As they explore each other, they both hear a gentle rap on the rock. Marko lifts his head while Sofie's lips are still attached to his neck, doing her best to make him purr beneath her.

"What's up?" He asks.

"It's me," Star's voice calls. "Can I come in?"

Marko sighs in frustration. Sofie frowns at him.

"She needs us right now."

"I know," he whines softly. "But can't she wait five minutes?"

"Five minutes?" Sofie replies, feigning offense. "Is that all I'm worth to you?"

"Ten?"

She pinches his sides and he yelps loudly.

"Okay! Fifteen!"

She giggles into his lips as she kisses him.

"Patience, my love."

He growls in protest.