Part 43: how to be a heartbreaker

Dwayne's energy is almost overwhelming. In just a few hours, he's completely worn her out. She lays wrapped in his arms, exhausted and panting, skin glistening with sweat. Dwayne's skin is cool compared to hers. She places soft kisses on his chest, savoring the soft hum that fills the silence between them. Kara can hear the sound of crickets chirping outside of her window. Her curtains rustle in the gentle breeze and if she strains hard enough, she can hear screams from the boardwalk in the distance. Without warning, her alarm goes off. She jumps and gasps, rolling out of Dwayne's grasp and slamming the clock down onto the nightstand to turn it off.

"Sorry," she laughs. "I forgot that I set it last night."

"It's okay."

"I gotta get ready to go to work."

"What time?"

"Ten. I'm DJ'ing tonight if you wanna come with."

"Sure," he chirps. "Paul and I are going to grab a bite to eat and swing by later."

She smiles.

"Sounds good."

Dwayne purrs and climbs on top of her, dragging his teeth across her neck. Kara's skin is so sensitive that the slightest touch causes her to gasp and twitch beneath him. Kara's heart is in her throat. She's certain that Dwayne can sense her trepidation and feel her quickening pulse. He lifts his head as though he can read every emotion that's running through her and knits his eyebrows together.

"I meant what I said earlier," she says, her voice just barely catching in her throat.

"That you wanted to order pizza tomorrow?"

"No!" She laughs, whacking him on the arm. "When I told you I was falling in love with you."

A smile spreads across his face. He wraps her in a firm embrace and kisses her.

"I know. I meant it too."

She flushes.

"This is getting kind of serious, isn't it?"

"It is," Dwayne whispers.

"Are you okay with that?" She asks, searching his eyes.

"If I wasn't, I'd have split a long time ago."

&&&

Her mind turns on like a light switch. It's the same feeling every time she wakes up - a flash of electricity and then everything in her body springs to life. Eyes pop open to embrace the dark of her bedroom. She hears music reverberating through the thin walls of her apartment. Prince. The same album they danced to on his first night at her apartment. She smiles and rolls over. Marko's space in her bed is empty. She shimmies into a pair of worn-out black jeans and a tank top before pushing the door open. The living room is barren, save for her lover's jacket draped on the back of a chair. The first thing to hit her nose is the smell of fresh tomatoes, garlic, and onions. She stumbles into the kitchen, limbs still heavy from sleep. Marko is at the stove stirring something in a gigantic pot with a wooden spoon. He's barefoot, wearing only his half-shirt and jeans. A bag of groceries sits on the counter. Sofie smiles and leans against the doorframe. He glances up, wide-eyed, and flashes her a big cheshire grin.

"I thought I'd make you dinner," he chirps.

"I didn't know you cooked."

"Haven't done it in years," he laughs. "The hotel isn't exactly ideal for it, but I remember everything."

"It smells amazing. Are you making tomato sauce?"

Marko nods, a smug smile spreading across his face.