Part 30: everybody wants to rule the world

She's been cooped up for too long. The crowds feel alien and move with a strange pulsating quality that she's never noticed before. The lights are too bright. The screams are much louder than she remembers. She can't get the smell of copper out of her nose. It's so powerful that her mouth begins to water and she has to hide her dropped fangs from passers-by. Sofie holds Marko's hand more tightly than usual as they stroll along with David leading the pack. They sort of move toward the concert, but Sofie can already tell that it's just an excuse to hunt. All four boys look like they're on high alert, their eyes scanning the crowd for prospective prey. So much for a birthday, Sofie thinks. She wants to kill, but she also just wants a night out - a normal night. She's had so many of them recently that she's settled into a kind of quiet comfort, but nothing about their lives is actually normal. She wishes Matt was here.

Star and Laddie turn to run toward the games when David's voice stops them.

"Where you going, Star?" By the tone of his voice, there's only one correct answer to the question. Marko rolls his eyes at his brother's controlling nature.

"Laddie wants to go."

David looks her up and down and then cranes his head to see the crowds huddling around the game booths.

"Be back in an hour."

Star looks annoyed but skips off with Laddie in tow. Sofie glares at David.

"Is it possible for you to go one day without being a dickhead to her?"

David chuckles and doesn't answer. He turns his head to light a cigarette. Sofie lets boldness take over and shoves him hard in the chest.

"Look at me when I fucking talk to you!" She shouts.

The action causes a miniature explosion. Marko pulls her back, but she tears herself free from his grip and lunges at him again. Marko, Paul, and Dwayne grab her by both of her arms and yank her backward before she does any more damage. David watches with amusement, which only serves to make her more furious.

"Sofie, stop," Marko urges.

"No!"

Her face is twisted and angry. She's had enough. For a month and a half she's watched him push Star away with no explanation, no reason, other than what appears to be sheer cruelty. For a month and a half she's had to wipe Star's tears away because she doesn't understand what's happening, what she did wrong, or if she did anything wrong. In her mind, she was fiercely loyal to David, and now he only wants her when she's desperate for a drink or a fuck. He's breaking her, and now she feels too trapped and terrified to leave. Sofie's been down this road before. Her conversations with Star and her memories of Kevin meld together in her mind until she feels nothing but hot, volcanic rage toward David. He senses it, like it's some kind of challenge. Sofie takes in a deep, shaky breath and feels her fists clench at her sides. She might not be able to take him out, but she could put up a hell of a fight.

He steps toward her, closing the gap between them. It's the closest he's ever gotten to her save for when she had to sink her fangs into his jugular. With a gloved hand, he lifts her chin and pulls her face close to his. His grip is tight and she tries to hold back the pain in her eyes. Marko watches, jaw and fists clenched. He's ready. He loves his brother, but one wrong move, and he'll take him out in an instant.

"You wanna know why?" David begins, his voice low and gravelly. "Because she's getting too close to him, and I don't want the kid saying a word about what we are."

"No," she counters, fiddling with a button on his jacket. "You'd rather glamor her and keep us a secret so that you can use her as a human milkshake. You only got her because you're bored."