Chapter Nineteen: Anuptaphobia - Fear of Staying Single

This is a boyxboy story.  Warned.  Continue to read if you don't mind.  This chapter is clean. :D

***

Chapter Nineteen: Anuptaphobia - Fear of Staying Single

Adrian’s POV

            My eyes kept wandering to Adam, who's head was held high a few moments now hung low.  I wanted to touch his shoulder, do something to reassure him.  I can't do much but I must be able to do something.  I sighed and opened my mouth but Adam beat me to speaking, "What a shit ass excuse!"

            I didn't reply and I bit my lip.  I waited for him continue and sure enough he did, "I know it's bull shit and it's surprising that I didn't launch myself on him like a crazy chimpanzee.  Actually, I'm going back and doing exactly that."

            He turned around and was about to march back until I put a hand on his chest, "Maybe he is just like any other young guy in New York.  He came to this city for the street to where he wants to be.  If he didn't take a chance to become what he wants to be, is that so cruel?"

            "It is if you leave the person you've strung along in the dust," his eyes were down casted from mine.

            I felt a sudden feeling of anger, maybe frustration or irritation, "I don't know, Adam, but it isn't really your business to have a part in.  Let the relationship go it's course, even if that means it ends or continues."

            "Excuse me?" he sounded offended.

            "If this was your relationship, would you want me to interfere?" when I saw his face, I knew I should've kept my big mouth shut.

            "Fuck yeah if it was for my greater good!" he glared at me.

            "I don't think most people do.  People tend to be offended when other people butt in their personal affairs, Adam," I said, sternly.

            "So if your boyfriend..." he began but I interrupted, "I'm straight."

            He groaned and rolled his eyes, "Okay, girlfriend, but the gender is irrelevant in this matter, Adrian.  Okay, as I was saying; if your girlfriend was cheating on you, you would want me to just sit on the sidelines."

            "This isn't like telling Ethan, 'Oh hey you're boyfriends and you are breaking up,' which is like the case you are presenting.  What your doing is if you were planning to set my girlfriend up in order for me to catch her in the act!" I snapped.

            He groaned and rubbed his head, his eyes rolling back and his shoulders slumped.

            "You okay?" I asked, suddenly concerned.  He looked as if he was going to puke on the sidewalk in front of me.

            "I have a headache, alright?  Is that a crime?" he cursed under his breath and took a step forward.  I stood by his side and frowned as he seemed to be more and more drowsy by the minute but I concluded that maybe he wasn't used to being argued with.  He and I have that in common.  We usually win in the arguing we participate in.

            "No."

            He rolled his eyes up in order to glare at me, but seeing how he had no idea where I was exactly as in eye level, he was glaring at my chin.  I try not to smile, and it wasn't that he was glaring at my chin - which was kind of funny - but it was that he looked like a child when he glared.  His dark almost-black auburn brown hair was long enough to where it cover both his eyes and I'm pretty sure it was so messy not because of style but because he didn't bother getting prettied up this morning.  His face was pale still and still looked like he had the urge to puke.  His pouty not too big and not too small lips were slacked.  And it took me a moment to notice, I was admiring him.  Like a gay guy... like Oz.  Shit.