Chapter Sixteen: Stygiophobia - Fear of Hell

Boyxboy love story means homosexual romance, if you don't like why do you read, stupid? Thank you. :D

***

Chapter Sixteen: Stygiophobia - Fear of Hell

Adrian’s POV

“How could you be this irresponsible?!” my mother accused me and pointed to my brother’s hospital room, “How could you leave him alone?”

            “Mary, it’s not his…” my father began to come for my defense but I didn’t allow him to finish.

            “Me?  Where were you?  I was out feeling sorry for myself and you were out blaming the whole world.  Where were you when Ajay choked on his toy?  Or when he fell of his bike?  I was there, but where the hell were…?!” my father gave me a glare that caught me off guard and I turned away.  My mother gave out a choked sob to look like the innocent little woman she always played.

            “Adrian… neither you nor your mother had any part of Ajay’s accident…” my father looked at me and then to his wife, who slung under his arm, “I’m so confused, why are we blaming one another for this?  We’ve all gone through a hard time, why do we turn against one another at the chance?”

            I chuckled, “It’s funny getting this from you.  You haven’t been able to look in my eye since Simon.”

            “Don’t bring this up now,” my mother ordered but I paid her no mind.

            “When should I wait?  The next funeral?” I asked.

            “Adrian!” Dad looked at me, as if he was surprised.  It was about time, “Jesus, we’re family here."

            “You haven’t noticed, since when have we’ve eaten dinner together?  Since when have we spent a holiday together?  Since when do you help me with my homework?” I laughed without humor, “I don’t Ajay for trying this.”

            “Adrian, please!” he sounded aggravated but I pushed it anyway.

            “If I was in that bed right there, you wouldn’t be waiting for me to wake.  You’d say you saw it coming and I was paying for my sins--” slap!  The echo of skin to skin contact caught me off guard and it took me a moment to realize… my mother just slapped me.

            “Mary!”

            “Be quiet, you don’t understand.”

            “My best friend was taken from me and my family hates me.  You’re the one who doesn’t understand,” it dawned on her that I found out.  I knew she hated me.  She hated me for making her friends turning on her because my drama, she hated me for costing so much pain, and just being alive/

            It was quiet and I was thankful.  Finally she could just shut up.  She didn’t bug me no longer.

            A cough bought all our attention, the nurse looked embarrassed to interrupt the moment, “He’s awake…”

            “Thank God,” my father rushed in and slowly my mother followed.  I waited in the hall to catch my breath.  I stood by the doorway as I saw my mother holding my brother’s face in her hands as if he were some precious object, she’d never look at me that way.  And neither would my father, he didn’t care.  He just is a man of God and believed to be kind even to your own enemies.