Truth be told...

Awkwardness and silence fill the entire room, making hard to even breathe. Claire is pacing back and forth until she sits down.

Neil breaks it.
"What now?"
"Hmm? What?" said Claire.
"That is what you are thinking. Just relax. You will be off the hook once I am gone."
"Don't say that. You really have the worst timing for jokes."
He laughs.
"Both are true. The fact that I might die and that my timing is terrible." She laughs.
"Well, I'll miss it."

"How long?" he asked.
"Since the day you told me: Miss Preston won't be hearing about it from me. It was just a crush. And then it faded. But then after we started hanging out, I started to fall in love with you. I realised it too late. I..."
"I meant how long do I have to be in here?"
Claire blushes.
"Oh. Umm... I think till tomorrow?" Neil laughs.
"Great."
He changes the subject.
"To finish your sentence, you should have told me sooner."

Claire's eyes widened.
"But then the favouritism complaint happened so I understand why. But why did you not tell me when we went bowling or when I told you that you make me a better person?" Neil asked. "Were you confused?"
Claire sighs.
"I had to spend a lot of time with Nash to realise who I really had feelings for. And I regret it. I could have just told you. I should have just told you. Why did you never tell me?"

"I did. When I said that you make me a better person." Neil replied.
"You are so subtle." Claire says in surprise.
"It is true. Claire, you literally changed me. You kind of saved me too. I think we did a pretty good job of saving each other." Neil said.

Claire moves closer to his side and he opens his hand. She takes her hand and places it in his. Both of them spent hours just staring. Eventually, Neil fell asleep while Claire just watched him.

Later, Neil woke up. He smiled. And she was the one sleeping. He moved hair out her face and she gripped tighter to his hand. And so did he. He laid awake and watched her sleep.