The Next Step

"How is my lactate now? " he asked. "2", replied Claire.

He sighs in relief.

Nurse Villanueva arrives in Neil's room.
"Dr. Melendez, we need to take you for additional tests."
Neil nods and Claire wants to go with, but she knows that she shouldn't, so she stays behind in the room.

After a while, she leaves and enters the ER. She starts to examine patients. " Dr. Browne, you're here."
She turns around and see Dr. Murphy.
"Hey, Shaun. Thank goodness you are okay. Where's Lea?"
He replies: "She is getting treatment. I need to go to her now."
"Yeah, go ahead. I will take care of your patients."
Claire gets back to treating patients, before hearing Dr. Park and Dr. Andrews.

"Dr. Browne, we have one less resident and we need one to scrub in. I know it is a lot to ask, given the circumstances---" said Dr. Andrews. Dr. Browne interrupted.
"It's fine. I will scrub in."
He exhales.
"Thank you. You two, head to the OR. I will be there in a few minutes."
Dr. Andrews walks to his office and Dr. Browne and Dr. Park head to the O.R.
"Honestly, you had no choice whether or not you wanted to scrub in." said Dr. Park.
"I know." said Claire.

Claire and Alex start scrubbing their hands.
"How is he?" Alex asked.
Claire, in a daze, does not hear him.
"Claire. Claire!" Alex raised his voice. "Sorry. Um.. He is improving. Slowly." she finally replied.
"Claire, you need to be focused." "I know. I am.", she replies, unconvincingly.

"Let's go.", Alex said.