Don't Hesitate Love

Three months have passed. Claire has been made Chief Senior Resident during this time. She spends more time on Dr. Lim's rotation than Neil's. Neil, on the other hand, has two new residents, Dr. Jordan Allen and Dr. Olivia Jackson, who have joined his team so he, along with the rest if the team, have been training them.

Recently, Neil has been more excited since he is getting married this weekend. Claire thought it would be nice if they got married the same day as their one year anniversary.

"Claire decided on the date?" asked Morgan, during surgery.
Neil nodded.
"And she says she hates romantics." said Neil.
Morgan smiles.
"She should hate herself then."
Neil smirks behind his mask.
"Be glad she is not here right now."
"How are the nerves holding up?" asked Alex.
Neil widens his eyes, chuckling.
"Uhhh... They're okay. I guess."
"You'll feel it on Saturday." said Alex.
"Just don't get cold feet." said Morgan.
Neil gives her a look.
"Sorry." said Morgan.
"I'd never get cold feet." said Neil, after a moment of silence.
"Mayos." he asked.

In another OR...
"You feeling okay?" asked Dr. Lim.
Claire nodded.
"Just a little nervous, right?" said Dr. Allen.
"Not really." said Claire.
"Pick-ups."
Jordan handed her the pick-ups.
"Mostly excited or mostly nervous?" asked Jordan.
"Kind of obvious, isn't it?" said Dr. Lim.
Claire smiled.
"Definitely not the latter." she answered.
"Of course not. You must be ecstatic." said Dr. Lim.
Claire nodded.
"Forceps." she said.
Jordan handed her the forceps and then suctioned.
Deep down, Claire felt a bit nervous. More anxious than nervous.

It is finally the day of the wedding.
Claire decided to curl her hair and put it in an elegant bun. Her bridemaids, Gabi and Morgan, are wearing light blue one shoulder dresses. She is wearing a dress with sweet heart neckline and lace sleeves which end at her shoulders.

Neil has decided that they would have the wedding outside, in a grassy setting instead of in a church, as his family would have preferred. His parents really like Claire, although they have only met her four times. Neil's mom calls her often.

Neil makes his way to the end of the aisle while Marcus and Shaun make their way to where the bridesmaids are.
Audrey winks at Neil, giving a thumbs up.
"Looking good." she mouths.
He smiles.

Claire is waiting in a room nearby and Gabi and Morgan help her adjust her veil.
She hears a voice.
"You look beautiful."
She turns.
"Dad?"
He smiles.
"We'll give you guys some space." said Morgan. She and Gabi wait outside.

There is silence.

"I thought you weren't going to be here." said Claire.
"I know what I said. But I thought about what you said when you left."
Claire stands in silence.
Miles moves closer.
"Claire, I'm tired. Tired of missing out on important moments in your life. I missed out one more already and I'm not going to miss out on another one."
Claire frowns.
"Neil told me you're the Chief Senior Resident."
Claire smiles and nods.
"When he told me that, I...I knew that I couldn't miss out another moment of your life. I thought that you would be fine without me, especially since you've gotten so far in life without me by your side. I was wrong. I should've been there. To guide you. To protect you along the way."
Claire continues staring.
"I don't deserve your forgiveness, Claire. And I can never make up for it. But I am truly sorry."
She exhales.
"Dad. It's... It's okay. There's nothing we can do about the past. You're here now. And you're wrong."
Miles looks up at her, eyes widened.
"You can make it up. Be in my life, from here on out. Not just mine, but if I have kids, I want their grandfather to be there. To take them for milkshakes and look after them. Teach them things that Neil and I can't."
Miles smiles.
"And I do forgive you."
Claires moves to hug her dad.
"I love you." Claire said.
"I love you too."
They pull from their embrace and Miles wipes her tears.
She exhales.