The Reason Why

He sees her drip and patient gown.

"Why are you...What happened?" he asked, frantically.

"You were injured in an earthquake and you were about to die. That is the gist of it." replied Claire.

"You... you didn't." he said.

"I did." she replied, lowering her head.

She tries to explain.
"I had to do something, even if it meant that something might happen to me."

"That is why you were missing all the time. You were in recovery. You still are." said Neil, quite mad.

"Yes, but I feel--"

"You need to leave." he interrupted.
She looked at him, in surprise.

"Neil, I--"

"Dr. Browne, you need to go." he said, turning away from her.

She raised her eyebrows.
"Dr. Browne?"
She exhaled and left the room.

Dr. Lim is outside. She sees Claire.
"You need to get back to bed."

Claire nods and gets back to her room and starts crying. She eventually stops and falls asleep.

Neil lies in his bed, crying while an expression of frustration appears on his face. He thinks: How could she do that? She knew I would never accept her liver so she does it behind my back. I get it. She wanted to help, but I could have waited. She shouldn't have had to endanger her life like that.
He then softens his expression.
But... Then again, this is Claire. Why am I even surprised? I should have known.

Later, he sees Nurse Villanueva.

"How is Dr. Browne?" he asked.

"She is better." she replies.

"Her vitals?"

"All good. She should be going home tomorrow. Wait. Why am I telling you this? You are not even a doctor right now." said Nurse Villanueva in reply.

"Okay. It is a relief to hear that she is going home." said Neil.

"Why, because she donated her liver and you never wanted her to? And now you cannot stand seeing her? Be grateful you are still here." she said.

"Excuse me?" said Neil, frowning.

"I got to go." said Nurse Villanueva and walks away, shaking her head.