Notice Me

I didn't want to be here. I hated school especially when I was forced to start in the middle of the year. Being in foster care, it happened often but yet I haven't quite learned to get used to it. Moving around over the years you refuse to get close to anyone or make friends. They'd be gone before you knew it; I waited out my days before I left this school too.

Art was my passion. I loved to sketch portraits of the things I held close. It helped to forget my life and the bullshit I've dealt with. I sat at the desk closest to the door. I looked up when I noticed someone had taken interest in my sketch. I looked at him without lifting my head; he noticed and looked at me.

I pulled out the headphones that lived the majority of the time in my ears. It was my medicine to drown out the world around me. He gave me a quick smile "You're good at sketching." Once I got a look at his face I choked on my words. His eyes moved around my face as I stared at him frozen, he chuckled "Sorry."

He turned back to the front and I looked around; I couldn't believe Kristian Pierson had spoken to me. He was that guy who held every heart and everyone died for his attention. I could care less about boys like him, I never wanted what everyone else wanted. I simply froze in shock.

I put my headphones back in and started sketching again; I stopped as I drew a line and looked around. I caught eyes with a few girls in the far corner; I gave them an eye roll. The mean girls didn't faze me. They're just insecure bullies who want what you have and are mad they don't have it.

The bell finally rang and I was first out, I rushed down the steps to my next class. Art. My favorite. I sat next to the one girl that I befriended. She was quiet and kept to herself, her name was Madison. I flipped open my sketchbook, she smiled "Still working on that piece Violet?" I clicked the mechanical pencil in my hand "I'm adding detail."

We both had a free period at the end of the day, we spent it working in the library. Helping shelve books and assisting the librarian for elective credits. We met before I started here through my foster mom's church, so it was easier to have a familiar face once the new semester started.

The class was cut off by the office assistant entering, all eyes went to the door. I lacked looking up right away; I heard my name. I looked at my teacher and then at the door. I realized the office was calling me out of class, I caught eyes with Kristian who held the paper in between both of his hands.

I closed my book and grabbed my things wondering who had called me out of class. We walked down the long hall toward the office; he kept quiet until about halfway down the hall. He turned to me "I didn't mean to startle you earlier." I looked at him with a shy smile "No worries."

He exhaled and glanced at me again "I'm Kristian." It slipped out of my mouth on accident "Yeah super star soccer player who girls drool over." He came to a slow halt and looked at me, my eyes widened once I realized what I said "That was meant to stay in my head." He chuckled as he smirked "You're funny."

I raised my eyebrows "Hilarious. I'm Violet." He smirked at me, continued walking and I followed. He glanced at me "How do you like it here? Make any friends yet?" I pressed my lips together and shrugged "One person has been kind. I don't get close to people."

He stopped once again "Madison? I noticed you around her often." I nodded as I looked away from his face, he smiled "I go to church with her. She's shy but a nice person." I nodded "That's where I met her. My fos.. my family goes there."

I felt like I'd suffocate with how much I was telling him, I never talked to anyone. He studied my face before he turned "Well I hope to see you there." We started walking again; we entered the office with my foster mom. I faked a smile "Hey. Mom. What's going on?" She looked at me surprised until she realized the boy I walked in with.

She turned giving him a smile "Hey Kristian." He gave her a quick wave and looked down at the computer. I couldn't believe the small world I had been dropped into. There's no way he didn't know she was a foster parent. He'd definitely tell everyone by tomorrow.

We walked out and I snapped at her "Why do you have to embarrass me? I don't want people to know that I'm in foster care." She continued walking to the car silent; I got in the front seat and she handed me a box. She started the car as I opened the box to my favorite snack. Kolaches.

She turned to me "Kristian won't say anything. I know that's what you fear." I shoved them in my mouth as I was nervous about buying lunch. She pulled out of the parking lot and we headed to my doctor's appointment. She glanced at me "Are you friends?" I laughed as I closed the box "Friends? No. I could never be friends with the likes of him."

She came to a stop at the light "And what would that be? Kristian is a good kid with good grades. I wouldn't mind if you befriended him." I looked out the window "Why because he goes to your church." She snapped as we pulled into my doctor's parking lot "Violet. Don't judge someone you don't know. You're always jumping to conclusions about people."

I raised my eyebrows "When you have a reputation of being someone everyone wants, it doesn't make you innocent." She rolled her eyes "Nonsense. That makes you thankful that you waited for the right person. I saw the way he looked at you."

I opened my door and got out before I puked up my lunch; she followed shortly. We went up the elevator and entered the office. I sat in the chair while she checked in; she came and sat beside me "You'll tell me if you pursue a relationship?"

I exhaled annoyed "I'll tell you every sexual relationship I have so that you'd leave me alone." She became surprised "Are you? Should we go over options?" Thankfully my doctor came out so I could leave this stupid conversation.

I couldn't stand when she would breathe down my neck and press me for answers. We had a good relationship so far but I doubted it wouldn't last long before something went wrong. Eventually, I'd get into some kind of trouble and she'd give up like the rest.

It was difficult to find homes for kids after 12. Everyone wanted the babies, not the already damaged ones. I was lucky she was willing to take me in otherwise I would've ended up at a youth home/shelter or worse. Juvie.