New Beginnings

I closed the tailgate to my Aunt Harper's SUV and stepped onto the curb. Eliza hugged me "Keep in touch." I pulled away "Thank you for everything." She rubbed my cheek "Remember what we talked about." I nodded with a fake smile "I know."

I pulled out the phone she had given me "Thank you for letting me keep this." Harper spoke "We need to go Violet. Thank you Eliza." I gave Eliza one last hug and went to the passenger side. We drove off away from my favorite home; Harper looked at me "Are you hungry?"

I looked at her "I actually want you to try a place before we leave." She smiled "Lead the way dear." I guided her to Clay's. We pulled into the dirt parking lot and I jumped out. We started walking in when I stopped in my tracks, Harper looked at me "What's wrong?"

I looked at her "I just remembered some friends would be here and I said my goodbyes already. I don't want to reopen those wounds by seeing them. I can wait outside while you order." She looked at me confused "We can go somewhere else." I shook my head, she sighed "I wouldn't know what's good here." I gave her a fake grin "The bbq pork is a killer. I'll have the same thing."

She sighed once again "Alright. I guess I understand." I took one last look at Kristian and Kristian's ex-girlfriend with her arms draped around his neck as they talked. He turned his head in my direction but he was looking off in another direction while he spoke to her. I turned to walk to the car disappointed by what I saw. I pulled out my phone to say something about it but I ended up locking it. What did I expect? I'd be a whole 12 hours away from him, I couldn't expect that he'd actually wait.

I sat waiting for awhile but that was expected. I looked up and quickly ducked down when I noticed Kristian and Karissa walking out to her car that unfortunately Harper parked next to. My window was cracked open and I heard Karissa "I can't believe I didn't get a goodbye." That's all I heard before the door shut.

Harper got in "What are you doing?" I quickly shushed her; she put the bag in the back and left the parking lot. I sat up in my seat "Had to park next to them." She giggled "I'm sorry I didn't know that was your friends car." I reached back to grab the bag "How long is the flight?"

She shrugged "Like 3 hours? So eat up." I dug into the bag and started eating the messy bbq sandwich. She looked at me "Use a napkin honey." I started giggling mid bite "It's Texas, it's meant to be messy." She playfully threw a napkin at me "You're hilarious and cleaning up bbq later if it gets on anything." I purposely put my finger in the bbq and wiped it on her cheek. I started laughing, she glanced at me with a smile "You little brat!"

I grabbed a napkin and wiped her cheek "I'm sorry." She smiled "You're so much like your mother." I put my food back down and wrapped it up, she glanced at me "What's wrong?" I placed the bag on the floor "Nothing." I looked at the skyscrapers as we drove to the airport. She cleared her throat "I know she's a sensitive topic and I'm sorry for bringing her up." I turned to face her "It's not that she's a sensitive topic. I love my mother very much but not so much her choices."

She grinned at me "I know the situation isn't what you've hoped for but give them a chance honey. They want to be better and know they've done things that they can't change now. They are proud of you and can't wait to see you." I mentally rolled my eyes, she was my mom's sister so she'd try defending their choices. It took her years to get me out of the system or so she claims.

I sat by the window of the airplane, watching as the planes landed and took off, Harper sat beside me "You look deep in thought." I exhaled silently "I'm going to miss being here." She pulled me into a hug "We'll visit, you can come back anytime you'd like." Before I could answer we were cut off by the pilot announcing we were taking off to make sure all devices are off and seatbelts were secured.

I rested my head against the window and watched as we took off, my heart felt heavy but I managed to hide the tears falling from my eyes. I ended up falling asleep and slept through the flight.

Harper woke me up once we landed; I glanced out the window at the pavement and planes. She leaned forward with a grin "Are you okay?" I yawned rubbing my eyes "Yeah just got here fast." She grabbed the luggage "You slept the whole flight. Don't do well on planes?" I stood up and took my baggage from her "Never been on one till now. I was just very tired I guess."

We got off the plane and made it to baggage claim for my other things, I pulled up my phone to multiple notifications. I locked the phone "Do you think we could get a new phone or at least number?" She stood up from leaning over the counter "Is everything okay? Don't you want to stay in contact with your friends and Eliza?" I frowned that I was about to say this "I want a fresh start here and leave all of that behind."

She slowly nodded "That's your decision. I won't stop you." I gave her a fake smile "It's not like any of them will last since I'm here now. No point in wasting anyone's time." We started walking to the parking garage; she looked to me "Are you sure you're 16?" I giggled "Why do you say that?" She stopped at the crosswalk "I feel like I'm talking to a 20 year old not a 16 year old."

We walked to her car that was in the paid parking garage, I loaded everything in the trunk "I can act 16 if you'd like." She shook her head "Your cousin does plenty of that, I don't think I could do twice of it." I laughed as I went to the passenger side.

Once I was in the car I opened my phone again; I had a missed call and voicemail from Kristian. I looked up at Harper who was looking at me "Is that him?" I gave her another fake smile "I figured Eliza told you." She turned her body to face me "She did. Its up to you what you do regarding them but I don't want you to end..."

I cut her off "He was with his ex girlfriend when we got food." Her face looked shocked "Wow. Is that?" I nodded "I went back to the car. Yeah. I thought about it and I'm certain that's what I want to do. I'm done being hurt by people I get close to. I won't see him again so it will be easy."

She nodded with a smile "Ready to start your new life?" I nodded with a grin "Oh yeah." We left the airport and went back to her house. My new and hopefully permanent home. I felt nervous but also happy for this change; I couldn't help being selfish but I deserved it after everything.