Goodbye

My last day ended like my first, wrapped up in my sketch book keeping to myself. Kristian glanced at me once all day then it was like I didn't exist. I avoided Karissa but it seemed like she wasn't at school. English made that clear when I looked where she usually sat. Madison acknowledged me but that was normal.

English was awkward, I continued sketching throughout class avoiding any socializing with Kristian. Not like he would entertain it after how he acted all day. The bell rang, I reached down for my backpack and came back up to a note on my desk. I looked around and Kristian was gone, I opened it and read it; I tried not to cry. I looked up to my name halfway through the letter "Violet? You need to get to your next period."

I wiped my face and shoved my stuff in my backpack hoping to avoid any more questions from my teacher.

Madison stopped me on the stairs "I was waiting for you... what's wrong?" At the bottom of the stairwell was Kristian with some of his soccer team. He continued talking to them without acknowledging us as we walked away. I glanced back and he was looking at me but his attention left immediately.

The rest of the day went by; I finished shelving the last books. I picked up the last book and stared at the cover. It was the book Kristian had me read before we had dated; I studied the cover until the librarian came up "You can keep it." I looked up and shook my head "Oh no. I couldn't." She took the paper slip out and placed it back in my hands "My parting gift to you. I will miss you in here."

I started tearing up "I wish I didn't have to go." She gave me a kind smile "This journey may seem like a bad thing but you have a chance to make it good. You keep following that path and don't ever give up. Storms come and go but life continues. Dream it up and you will live it someday."

Her head turned to someone coming up; I looked at Kristian who was smiling at the librarian. I pushed my cart to the office and stayed at the desk scanning in returned books. I grabbed a book without a barcode on it; I flipped through it looking for one but found none. I opened the front cover and found a small note written on it. "Violet, I know you've looked everywhere for this book and I wanted to wait for your birthday but I won't get that chance now. I'm not being a douche on purpose but this sucks for me as well. Keeping it at our first goodbye is best. I hope you'll meet me at the pier as we planned. If not I get it. Enjoy your goodbye gift."

I closed the book and looked at the cover; I look up at Kristian talking to the librarian. He glanced at me from the corner of his eye and smiled but went back to his conversation. I put it on top of the book from Mrs. Connors. I finished scanning the books and hid behind the desk for the rest of the day.

I walked out of the front doors once the bell rang and looked back at the building behind me. I turned to a hand on my shoulder, I became startled. Eliza smiled "Are you alright?" I nodded, and she looked in the direction I was "Did you say your goodbyes?" I gave her a fake smile "Yeah. I'm ready."

We started walking to her car and I took one last glance back; Kristian stood at the entrance with a slight smile on his face. I looked forward trying not to cry; I felt tears on my face. I quickly turned and ran back; I jumped in his arms and hugged him tightly. He held me just as tight, he whispered "Wait for me." At this point, I was balling and didn't care who saw it.

I looked into his face "You do the same." He wiped the tears from my cheek with his thumb "I wish it was different. Stay safe for me." I nodded as he placed me down; Eliza came up "Violet." I turned to her "I'm coming." I looked at Kristian and grabbed his pinky with mine "I promise to come back and wait." I kissed his pinky before letting go; I followed Eliza back to the car. Letting go wasn't easy, I wanted to grab his hand and run as far as we could but I knew that wouldn't last forever.

Eliza turned over the engine and glanced at me "You love him. As much more than I had originally thought. I'm sorry Violet." I looked out the window and kept quiet; she placed her hand on mine in a comforting way "You know where to find him. I doubt he's going anywhere." I started crying again then I snapped "I wouldn't have to if I wasn't in this stupid system. If my family had stopped being selfish and let me stay where I chose then I'd have no need to find him. I'd be here with him, graduating and going to college with him. Maybe getting married and just maybe having a family. But no the power of the system intervenes."

She looked at me surprised "You're young, you have 2 more years before any of that." I kept quiet but she asked the last thing I wanted to talk about "Did you sleep with him and did you guys use protection?" I frowned in agitation "Would you not pry into it anymore." She became irritated "I need to know, you can get pregnant or worse..." I cut her off "No! I am very much a virgin so stop!"

She exhaled but another word didn't leave her mouth; I rubbed my forehead from the headache I was getting. I hate parents for this very reason, they pry and make you feel uncomfortable at the worse times. They wonder why their teens refuse to talk about being in a relationship. They get crazy about protection and staying safe like school doesn't shove it down our throats every day.