Crush

I touched my lip just to be sure I wasn't dreaming as he pulled off back onto the road. I finally took a breath and realized I wasn't dreaming. I felt a smile on my face thinking about it. I took a quick glance at him and looked down continuing to smile. He looked at me before looking back at the road "Are you comfortable going to the beach house? It's a bit late to drive that far to my family."

I looked back at him "That's fine. I'm not quite ready to see Karissa." He chuckled "She'll be happy to know. She has bugged about it since you came to school with us." I started laughing "I know. She has brought it up to me plenty of times." He glanced for a second with a smile "I told her."

I took a deep breath "So the restaurant? The comments? Because? She knew you liked me?" He nodded and looked to his left as he turned. My heart raced, he liked me this whole time? Karissa knew? And Madison!

I was going to get both of them back for making me stress it once they knew I had feelings for him. They made it awkward for no reason. I started laughing with no control to stop, I felt happy. Kristian looked at me with a quick smile "Violet." I threw my hair back and confidence overcame me "I can't believe those two."

We pulled up to the beach house and he turned to face me "I asked if they didn't say anything. I wanted you to know me for me and I wanted to know you for you. When we like someone we tend to put on this image of someone we aren't so our crush will like us. I didn't want to get to know that person. I wanted to get to know you."

My heart raced the more those words spilled from his mouth. The rumors I heard weren't true, he wasn't some mean, popular guy who treated girls like trash. Of course, I had learned that months ago, but the more I see of his true self, my feelings exploded.

I fell out of my thoughts when his hand touched the top of mine "Are you okay?" I nodded and inhaled "Yes. I was just... Thinking." He smiled with a chuckle "I know you don't get close... But would you..." He cleared his throat as he became nervous "Would you consider maybe going on another date?"

I joked with him "Maybe? You don't sound so certain." He chuckled "I'm certain trust me. Just my nerves." I looked at him "I'm just messing with you." I gave him a smile while I rested my head back on the headrest. His eyes lit up and he ended up looking away but back "So yes?" I nodded keeping the smile on my face "I would love to."

He opened his door and got out, and I quickly followed. He waited for me at the front of his car; I walked to his side and stopped, he smiled at me "You look worried to go in." I looked down at the ground "Kind of." He held his hand out to me "I will never do anything you don't want or agree to. We're just here to hang out and sleep, I promise."

I looked out to the ocean, he looked back but back to me "We can hang out here until you're comfortable going in. Don't feel forced to do anything." I looked at him "It's not you." He sat on his car "Do you want to talk about it?" I crossed my arms, I did that when I felt uncomfortable or wanted to close myself off.

I took a deep breath and dropped my arms again trying to get out of my comfort zone. I sat beside him and laid my head against his arm "My parents... They were amazing to me most of my life up until I was about 4 or 5... They got caught up with needing to prove themselves to their friends. They started drinking and smoking cigarettes first. Then it went to hardcore drugs..."

I took another deep breath "Their friends would come over. One in particular... He'd come into my room... I always thought he loved kids and that what he was doing was harmless..." He wrapped his arm around me to comfort me "Did he hurt you?"

I shook my head "No. He'd groom me, bring me toys, brush my hair... Um... Play dress up with me. I figured out that once I was old enough that wasn't my friend. I found out from my social worker he was on the sex offender list."

It took every strength in me not to cry, I hated crying and feeling weak. Especially when I'm with Kristian, the last thing I want him to think is I'm a crybaby. He held me to his side "Violet I'm sorry that you had to experience that and I'm thankful you told me. You didn't have to and I hope you didn't feel obligated to. You never have to tell me if you don't want to."

I looked at him and smiled "Can you get any better?" He started laughing, I looked back down "I want to tell you this." He stopped laughing once I said that. I took another deep breath "I watched my parents get tackled and handcuffed; I remember my mom screaming for me and my dad punching the police officer to get to me while they took me away."

I started crying even though I tried not to. I sniffled "We were such a happy family before they changed. I was young but I discretely remember some of the good moments." He kissed the top of my head "Keep those with you." I exhaled "I don't want to go back with them."

I wanted to change the subject; I didn't want him to feel sorry for me. I slipped out of his arm and ran to the ocean. He shortly followed; I took off my shoes and ran into the shallow water. Once he came out to the waters where I was I reached my hands out to him "Come here."

He had a huge smile on his face "Is that your way to avoid a touchy subject?" I returned his smile "Maybe." He smirked, looked down, and glanced up "You're adorable." I threw him a playful eye roll "Babies are adorable." He chuckled "So what does that make you?" I shrugged "I'd say average." He shook his head blushing "No."

I pulled him closer to me; I gently held his face with my hand and brought my face to his. He put his nose on mine "You're beautiful." I leaned in to kiss him; I refused to pull away and he didn't object to it. I swear I don't think my heart has beaten this fast and if I wasn't careful I'd lose my head. My brain felt like mush when I slightly touched him, let alone kiss him.