Boardwalk

We pulled into the boardwalk parking lot, the sun had begun to set so the view was beautiful behind the lit amusement park. Kristian turned to me "You excited?" I always loved amusement parks; the adrenaline rush always made me feel alive and happy.

How he knew I'd love this place beats me but who am I to complain?

I opened my door without answering him and ran toward the entrance. I looked out over the ocean and my heart skipped a beat; I loved this view and it smelled like fresh salt water. I've been to a similar boardwalk around the state but this one was special. Not that I ever came here but because Kristian brought me here not knowing it had my two favorite things.

A beautiful sunset and amazing unlimited rides.

I turned as he ran up "Wow I've never seen anyone run so fast." I smiled at him "I'm sorry I just love rollercoasters. And aren't you a soccer player?" I started giggling at my comment.

He smirked and raised his eyebrows "Not funny. I didn't expect you to book it from my car and I had to grab our things." He handed me my phone and I didn't realize I left it. Oh well.

We entered the park and my eyes lit up to all of the sounds and lights, I loved it. The screams of people on the roller coasters and the laughter of people having fun. I turned and my jaw dropped, a Ferris wheel! Kristian looked at me with admiration at how happy I was.

Like a kid in a candy store, I couldn't wait any longer before deciding on a ride. We waited in line and I jumped up and down like a little kid. I was so distracted I hadn't noticed that Kristian hands were around my waist. So what? We were on a date. It's not like he's making out with me.

We got into the ride and he looked at me before it started. I enjoyed every minute of this night, I didn't know when I'd be able to ever do this again. At least not in the next two years.

Once we got off I turned to him and smiled "I feel so alive." He smiled at me "Come on. Let's go to the next one." I got distracted by the cotton candy animals that a concession stand made. I saw they had baby Yoda and I cried. Not literally. I pulled out my wallet to pay but Kristian already had his card out "I got it Violet."

The guy handed me the work of art and I looked at Kristian "Thank you." I took a picture of it before we started eating it. After we finished it we went on more rides; for my first date.

It was the best.

I don't know how anything could top this.

Once we rode everything; we sat to catch our breath. I looked across the table at Kristian "Tonight's been amazing. Thank you for bringing me here." He turned his head to me "You deserve it. The night isn't over yet." I couldn't help but smile at him "What else do you have planned?"

He sat up "Why ruin a surprise? Right?" I looked around "I don't know how much more can top this." I looked back at him and he had a frown on his face, I looked away again "What's wrong?" He exhaled "I don't want you to be hurt. If something happens where you have to leave. It's going to suck. I've grown to your company and enjoy hanging out with you."

I felt a blush hit my face and I felt my heartbeat in my throat, he reached his hand for mine "Promise me something." I looked into his eyes and nodded "I need to know what it is first." He grabbed my hand and held it

"If you leave. You'd meet me here in this spot once you're 18 and free. I will come here every day for a year and if you don't come. I will stop. I will understand that you moved on from whatever relationship we develop."

I gulped and my heart raced, I wasn't sure if I heard him correctly. I looked back at him after turning away embarrassed "Why are you saying that?" He became sad again "Because you're the first girl that I can be myself around. I don't want to lose that."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing; I shut myself down. He was getting too close to me and I knew if I kept allowing him to do that it would hurt me. I stood up and he followed; I went to the exit. He gently grasped my hand "Violet."

I was super and crying now; I promised myself I wouldn't grow attached to anyone and here I am getting attached. He stopped me with a hug "I didn't mean to upset you." I cried into his chest "You don't understand." He whispered, "Explain what I don't understand." I looked up at him "I don't get close to people. Because..." I started crying again and it broke my heart once again.

He hugged me tightly; I felt that if he hugged me tighter all of the broken pieces would go back together. But that's the thing they didn't. He'd let go and they'd fall again and again. He brushed my hair with his hand "I promise to wait. I will fight to find you again." I pulled away from him "Nothing ever goes well for me. And when it does I get ripped away from it. I've been in the system since I was 5. That's 11 years."

I exhaled to maintain myself but I couldn't stop the tears, I had feelings for him now. It had been months since we first started talking and I grew attached. He frowned "Do you want to go?" I nodded with no response; he pulled me close to him and we walked to his car.

I looked out the window as we drove and I felt even worse. I ruined my first date with him, I knew he'd distance himself again. What an idiot I am. I watched the street lights and remaining cars on the road avoiding all eye contact. Take it upon yourself to ruin everything Violet.

I felt his hand on mine but I didn't turn my head to him; I was embarrassed.

Suddenly the car came to a stop at another pier; I finally looked at him with a tear-stained face. He turned to me with a frown "I don't want you to feel bad for being upset. I shouldn't have said anything."

Everything in me wanted to open the door and run but I didn't. I took a deep breath "I'm glad you did. And I'm not upset that you did. I'm upset because I..." I paused to think about what was about to come out of my mouth.

"I have feelings for you... And... It scared me to be moved... I..." Before I could finish my sentence, he leaned over, gently pulled my face to his, and asked "Can I?" I nodded and he kissed me.

My first kiss.

He didn't just take it, he asked and it made every nerve in my body shiver.

I knew I could trust him.