On The Run

I woke up at 2 am. I checked my phone; Karissa and Kristian both had called me multiple times and I had a full list of text messages. I got up and shut the bedroom door quietly; I sat in the closet so I could be extra quiet. I dialed Kristian's number and waited while it rang.

He answered half asleep, his voice was deep and sleepy "Hey. What's going on? Do you need me to pick you up?" I whispered "I'm not going. I'm old enough to decide I don't need to be thrown around anymore." He cleared his throat "What do you plan to do."

I whispered, "I'm leaving before they make me." He was silent but I could hear his quiet breathing. I could hear him moving to sit up "I'm going with you." I heard a bunch of rustling and his keys before I could object. He spoke again with a rough but cute voice "I'm on my way. I know where we can go."

I wanted to object and tell him this was my problem but I couldn't do it alone. I'd be caught on the street alone by the police or even my social worker eventually.

I stood up from the carpet and quietly moved across the room. He opened his car door "Leave the phone. They can track it. Delete any messages and this call from the log. I will call Karissa once she's awake and let her in on the plan. I'm on my way."

I felt nervous but if I could trust anyone it would be him. He stayed on the phone till he pulled up. Once he told me to come out I hung up and did as he said.

I quietly snuck out of the room and looked around the corners before slipping out the door. Once outside I ran down the walkway to his car and we took off fairly fast. His hair was a mess and he had on his shorts with a plain T-shirt. He asked a trillion questions faster than I could answer.

Once I manage to answer them, I looked at him "No going back." He smiled at me with his half-sleep smile "I would do anything for you. You know that." I look out my window "What if they find me? I'd likely end up in juvie or worse." He rubbed my hand "If I have anything to do with it. I'd take the fall for you."

I frowned inside, I couldn't believe I involved him in this. I closed my eyes and sighed "This isn't fair to you." He chuckled "Babe. We are a team regardless. Years from now we will look back and laugh with our kids. I mean if we do." I noticed he was nervous, I smiled, easing his nerves "I wouldn't want anything else." I could see the huge grin on his face meaning he was blushing if only I could see it.

He was still half asleep, it was the most adorable thing when he spoke with a tired mind. He spoke about how he truly felt and then later felt embarrassed by it. I gave him another smile "I wouldn't love anyone else." He nearly hit the curb and swerved "Kristian!" He cleared his throat "My bad. It's... Dark." He left an awkward silence after I purposely made that comment. I wouldn't know how love felt but I think I could be in love with him.

Though we haven't been in a relationship long, I believe the feelings grew right away. We masked it for months until he slipped up. Karissa had also spoiled a lot of the denying feelings between both of us. I looked out the window while in my thoughts; watching the street lights light the roads.

I looked back at Kristian who was focused in front of him; he glanced at me getting nervous again "What?" I couldn't help the smile "Are you okay?" He gulped trying to be discreet about it "Um.. ya. Yeah. I just... Did I hear you right?" I held his hand "Loud and clear." He cracked his window open "Well.." I giggled "You are just too cute when you're nervous." He smiled and out came a small laugh "Violet. I don't want to... It's been a few days but.. I.."

He turned and looked at me for a second before going back to the road "I realized it when we were on that boardwalk. I had just asked you but my feelings... I've had a crush since you first came. Being your friend those feelings grew... You are everything I've always wanted."

I realized I was the one nervous now. I left to silence and it wasn't a bad one. I had no words for his response. I was testing Karissa's comment and he just confirmed it. He gently squeezed my hand "Was that too much?" I turned to him "No. It was what I hoped." He pulled into a parking lot of a park; he got out and I followed "What are we doing here." I recognized the park, we had a church event here, and it was my first day with Eliza.

He walked down the grass hill and looked up at me once he realized I wasn't following "Are you coming?" I walked down the hill to him "Why'd you bring me here?" He went to the swings "I was sitting right here when you pulled in with Eliza. You were so nervous and scared. It was the first time I saw you. Class was my first interaction but I noticed you here."

I smiled "My first day with Eliza was here. She wanted me to make friends. I met Madison at the bbq." He looked at me "I would've met you but you looked uncomfortable as it is. She told us about getting another girl and she was excited. I hope you don't lose contact with her." I started swinging back and forth "Why would I do that? She's one of the most caring people and has made me feel like a normal teenager again."

He started swinging with me; he grabbed my hand and we started swinging together. Of course, at first, we were way off on our swings but managed to get them in sync. We joked around and talked while we swung together.

He let go of my hand and jumped from the swing, he rolled to his back "I'm getting too old for that." I stopped and walked to him "At least it wasn't your face." I lay beside him, he looked at me "Thankfully with my luck. It should've been." I looked at his face as he brushed my hair multiple times "That would be a shame." He sat up on his elbows "You're beautiful." He leaned in and started kissing me; I laid back on the floor as he laid over me.

He kissed my jawline to my neck to my collarbone; I giggled because I was ticklish there. He smiled against my skin and came back up to my lips, pecking them "We need to go." He got up fairly quickly and helped me up; he held my hand as we jogged across the grass to his car.