CHAPTER ONE : NEW BEGINNING

I’m busy packing my clothes, getting ready for tonight’s flight. The agency that hired me for an off shore job managed to book me a job in the U.S. I got a last flight out tonight. Living day to day has been difficult in my homeland. In my case, I am only the one who is earning for the family.

I have a broken family.

Flashback 1997.

My mom and dad separated when I was 15. I have a sister who is 5 years younger than me. When they separated, mom worked overseas, particularly as a household helper. That is when she met my step dad, an Italian. Sergio was really nice and he accepted mom who she was, not minding kids from previous relationship. She married her. Too bad that divorced is not legal in our country but ANNULMENT is! It was a tedious process that all of us went through some shitty proceedings. Testifying to court to prove nullity makes my stomach turn and make myself puke! In such a very young age of 15, it was a torture to me. Mom decided not to include my younger sister on the annulment case. She is just too young to be abused! Anyway, after about 3 months, the court’s decision was out. It was granted. And it broke my heart. Don’t get me wrong, Sergio was a good man and he funded my schooling into College. And not just some College, but a decent one. And I thank God for him.

I have been working my ass out since I was 21 & managed to put food in the table since then. It has already been freakin’ 13 years but I didn’t saved anything for myself. All for them! That’ how I value family. Mom is jobless (She is 55 by the way), a Sister that has a daughter out of wedlock (she had her when she was 18. The dad was a freakin’ bastard!), I need to support all of them. But that was fine. I made it a mission to support them all the way, because they are the only I have. Oh before I forgot, I also have a loving boyfriend for 6 years. Yup! You read it right! 6 long years. And to tell you honestly, we have no clear plans on getting married yet. He knows my priority. We started out as very good friends. That’s why we were really meant to be. He has a band and I sing too so we hit it off instantly. Well, being a drummer in a band doesn’t give him stable job so he is a bum once in a while. That’s what is holding us back both on planning our own family because it is going to be too hard.

Fast Forward, 2014.

I finished packing my things early. It was about 2pm and my fight is at 11pm tonight. I heard the door opened and there was Richard standing with a sad look on his face. I know, the feeling is mutual. If not for my family, I will not leave. I mean I have a pretty decent job here that can feed my family but my dreams were big! My last work stint was in a Business Process Outsourcing / Call center that have been catering foreign accounts for 5 years. That was my edge I think why I was chosen to have the job in the US. I can speak and write J . But prior to that, I was a Supervisor for sales and marketing for 8 years. But again, my dreams were big!

“What time do we leave?” – Richard saying while walking towards me. I can feel his deep sadness in his voice. This is going to be the first time that we will not see each other or be apart for more than 24 hrs! He is my neighbour and we are practically with each other almost every day. He use to bring me to the Transport terminal every day because obviously I don’t have a car and I don’t mind it.

“At 5pm?” I said without looking at him. I’m pretty busy sorting the documents to bring with me, need to prepare them for immigration check later one I enter the airport.