Judgement for Peeta

Cato's P.O.V

Today will be the day the group and I will be deciding Peeta's fate, as (Y/N) and I have talked about it over the course of a few hours. While the day had come to an end, it was late afternoon when our decision was made. I watched as Peeta would eat some day-old bread and dried fruit that Mari supplied to him because, as much as we wanted to punish him for what he'd done,

We weren't monsters; I mean, in prisons, they don't let their prisoners starve. But it didn't mean we forgot what he did. Katniss (Y/N) and I were sitting around the fire we made and discussing our choice with her. I mean, he was her district partner; we couldn't just leave her out of our judgment. I knew Marvel and Thresh thought she would show him sympathy, but when she yelled and slapped him the day before, it changed their tune really fast.

I would be the first one to tell Katniss what our decision is, which is to leave him here in the cave we have called home for the past two days. I mean, it seemed like a deserving fate, though I knew killing him would be what the Capitol would want. But it's not what we wanted, and if we had to come back, we'd know where he would be.

As we were talking with her, I couldn't get a grip on half of her emotions. She appeared emotionally drained from the day before, but the other emotions she displayed as we spoke were hurt and anger. I know the hurt emotion was for her district partner, but the anger was still there from what happened to Rue.

I would then ask her if she was fine with our decision, which she would say to both of us in a serious tone.

"Yes, I agree with it, as long as you guys don't mind me staying here with him. I know we are allies and will always be. But he is my partner, and to leave him behind might hurt my mentor and district. Besides, someone has to keep an eye on him and make sure Princess Glimmer doesn't find him."

We wanted to object to her decision, but we knew she wasn't wrong. If she were to leave him alone, it would probably hurt her district and mentor. Also, if Glimmer were to find him, there is a good chance he would be killed because he did fail her.

He wouldn't have been cast out if he hadn't, and I did think it was noble of Katniss to protect him. Once the last bit of the decision was made, we would get up and go meet up with the group to say what we decided.

(Y/N) would call our group over, and one by one, they would line up and take a seat around the fire. I would say to them in a serious tone while one held my hand,

"We have come to our decision and all the details about it. We have voted to leave Peeta here. Along with Katniss staying here with him,"

My words would trail off, as Marvel and Thresh would let words of anger and discontent out of their mouths.

I'm guessing they didn't want her left behind, but Katniss would stand up and say something to them in a calm but serious tone.

"Look, I know you two want him to suffer the most... Thresh more than anyone here, but you must understand... I have to stay with him, and it's not because I want to. But I owe it to my mentor and district. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened to Peeta. Besides, if any of you come back to the cave, we'll be here unless we have to move or are forced out by the gamemakers."

She would then sit back down, and then I would say something to them in another serious tone.

"We moved out this afternoon, if anyone has objections. Speak now or forever hold your peace."

I waited to see if anyone wanted to stay behind, but no one raised their hands. Which meant it was understood, and Katniss respected it.

As we all started to pack up our gear and packs, no one said a word. It was like everyone was processing Katniss's decision. But we did commend her for wanting to stay with him. I know if the shoes were on the other foot and I had a different partner. I don't think I could contain the rage I would have for killing a friend.

But one by one we left the cave, and all of us gave Katniss a friendly smile. While Thresh would walk over to her and give her a hug. I would see him lean closer to her ear and whisper something to her.

I'd give her a confused look, but as he would let go, (Y/N) and I would walk over to her for our goodbye, and (Y/N) would hug her tight and wish her luck. When it came to me, I asked her what Thresh had said to her. She'd smile and say to me in a calm tone, "Well, he wished me luck. But he also said that if I needed him, to just whistle. I think he is worried about me being alone with Peeta."

I would nod as I listened to her. I mean, I couldn't blame his worry. I mean, Peeta killed his sister; what was to say that he wouldn't kill Katniss just to get back in Glimmer's good graces? But this is all stuff we would have to trust Katniss with. I would give her a hug as well, as much as I know it makes me look weak.

But she is part of my alliance, and I have more respect for that than anything else. Once our goodbyes were said, we took off into the forest, looking for another shelter for the night. We walked through the dense forest, hearing Jabberjays and other birds sing along with other small wildlife running along the bushes and trees. We would eventually stop at a set of pine trees in a circle and begin to set up camp. Thresh and (Y/N) would go hunt for food, while Cliff and I started a low-burning fire. While Mari and Marvel would count our dry food supply and supplies we had, making sure nothing was missing or left behind, even if it was, we knew Katniss would make use of it. I mean, we left Peeta and her a good bit of day-old bread and dry fruit.

along with one of the small silver canteens of water. Once Cliff and I got the fire going, we would set up tarps and lean-tos. With camp set up and everything accounted for, Thresh and (Y/N) would come back with some squirrels and small birds. Cliff would cook them and divide them between five people; after dinner, we all went to respected tents and took a rest for the night. As I lay there with (Y/N) sleeping cuddled up to my chest, I would ponder if we had made the right decision by leaving Katniss with Peeta.

But we needed to respect her wishes. I would place a soft kiss on my girls head and try to fall asleep. We had to wake up early in the morning to move to a permanent camp for a few days, but with only 19 people left, It's anyone's game; I just hope we can all at least make it to the end.

(A/N): Hello...Long time no see, sorry about the delay folks....Been dealing with some real life things...Like I have a now 9 month old little girl, also planning my wedding to my fiancé...But I will keep up with this story til the very end....But I do hope you enjoy this chapter, and know there is more to come in the HG story Forever and always. Also just a heads up, I will be editing my chapters of all my books...So if you get any noti's I published a new chapter...It's just me editing....But as always may this book be ever in your favor, and have a great day. -EW

Word count: 1360