Game Time

(Y/N) P.O.V

I woke up the next morning laying in our bed cuddled up with Cato, but instead of the smile that I would usually have because of being with Cato, an overwhelming sadness had overcome me. Today we would be going into the games, and only two of us would come out. I kept asking myself, Why do we have to go through something as brutal as the Hunger Games? To me, it made no sense: 12 districts go in, and what are they all for? The fame? The money? or All of the above?

How could you see it as anything but being a slave to The Capitol and President? I mean, don't get me wrong, the money and winnings are niceties, but is it really worth dying for? I mean, for districts 10 to 12, It's worth it to them because they barely get any assistance from their government. But from district 9 on up, they are basically spoiled as long as they produce their exports. Then districts 1–4 are the golden children, but I know it's just sad that all the adults are being worked to the bone while their children are being killed in this stupid game.

I'm pulled from my thoughts when I hear Enobaria knock on my door, telling us that we need to get up and be ready for transport to the arena soon. I told her that I would wake up Cato and we would be ready in 30 minutes. I turn to look at him and see that he is still sleeping. I give him a kiss on the lips and shake him awake. He asks me sleepily, Why are we getting up so early? The only thing I told him was that it was time. I feel his emotions change from happy to a slight sadness because I know he felt what I was feeling. Cato does ask me if we can stay in bed for a few more minutes. I knew he wanted to hold me before getting ready, to which I didn't object.

As we lay there cuddling, I knew he was trying to keep his emotions in check, while I was trying not to have an emotional breakdown. After 10 minutes of cuddling, we started getting ready. We took a shower and got dressed together. I was dressed in some black cargo pants, my F/C long sleeve shirt, and my F/C boots, While Cato was dressed in a tight black tank top that showed off his muscles with some khaki cargo pants and some black combat boots.

Once we were dressed, we made our way to the table to eat breakfast together with our godparents. Which we hope isn't the last time we get to spend with them. I could tell Baria had been crying as she held her coffee mug tightly in her left hand. She had barely touched her breakfast. Brutus was holding her right hand in a comforting manner. As we sat down, my stomach was in knots, and I felt like I couldn't eat anything that was on the table spread. I picked out some oatmeal with fruit and sausage, while Cato had the same meal of bacon and eggs.

I ate half of my breakfast, and I could see Cato had done the same. We all sat in silence for what seemed like a long time. Until Brutus told us that he and Baria wanted to talk with us before we left, we all got up from our seats and walked over to the living room. Cato pulled me into his lap as we took a seat in one of the chairs across from the couch. Enobaria and Brutus took the couch, and Brutus pulled her closer to him and then said to us,

" Look, I know this is going to be hard for all of us. But I know you two can survive and come back home to us. Because the last thing we want to do is bury our godchildren, our last bit of advice to the both of you as your mentors is:

1. Remember your academy training and stay hydrated.

2. If something looks too good to be true, get yourselves out of there.

3. Keep watch at night; you never know if the gamemakers will throw something at you.

And lastly, try to help out your allies as much as you can, but don't do so much for them that you become a target.