The Reaping of District 2

Cato P.O.V

Today was the day of the reaping for the 74th Annual Hunger Games, and as I sat here under an apple tree with my girlfriend (Y/N), we were enjoying each other's company before we had to go get dressed for the reaping. She was wearing a (Y/F/C) shirt with black jeans and (Y/F/S/S=your favorite shoe style); she looks so beautiful with glowing (E/C) eyes, her (H/C) hair down framing her beautiful (S/T) face.

While I was holding her, I was thinking to myself about how unfair these games are to the other districts. Yes, District 2 has always been trained for the games to bring honor and glory back to our district.

But as of late, I don't feel that anymore. I mean, if I got reaped, I would do what I could to come back home to (Y/N). But I just wish the other districts had at least some way to train like we do. Don't get me wrong; some may do it in their own way, but not like us. We are taught from a young age how to kill, survive, and basically have the upper hand against the other districts.

It isn't just us who are trained for the games; districts 1 and 4 are also trained because we are supposed to be the most dangerous people in the games. But what kind of government sends in kids to fight their battles just because we rebelled once? I hated it because in these games you can't have love or friendships, nor do they care about your age, because either they will die in the arena or you kill them by your own hands, and that weighs on your conscience for the rest of your life, never being free of the guilt of killing your girl, boyfriend, or just an innocent child forced to be in these games.

Unless suicide or addiction takes you away from the nightmares and guilt of killing, that's how I lost my older brother, Curio. He was the victor of the 72nd Hunger Games at the age of 17, and he lived in the victor's village. My father and I always visited him to make sure he was alright and of sound mind. Because he had to kill his district partner, whom he also loved, but being the final two and knowing only one of you can come back home, she sacrificed herself so he could come home to his family and friends.

A year before my first reaping at 17, he had killed himself with poison. It was hard on us because he always seemed so happy to be home, but I could tell he was hurting from heartbreak. I just wished I could have done more to help him, but I knew this was something he had to do on his own, like everyone else who is a victor.

(Y/n) could see I was lost in thought, and I felt her kiss my right cheek to get my attention. I smiled at her, shaking the dark thoughts from my mind.

"What are you thinking about that's got you sad and worried?", She asks me sweetly, trying to get me to cheer up.

"Just thinking how stupid these games are and how they affect people after... Like my brother. And I'm worried that we will reaped together, and I don't want to lose you or have to kill you, like my brother and his partner." I started to tear up after I said that to her. I only show my emotions to three people in my life: my father, mother, and (Y/N), because they are the only ones I can trust to be vulnerable with me and let my thoughts be heard without judgement.

Other times I have acted like a cold, hard ass, because once you show weakness in this district, it's all over for you to survive and be trained. They treat you like that weakness should be culled before you embarrass our district.

(Y/N) hugs me tightly, and I kiss her right temple while I try to calm my brain down. After about five minutes, we get up from the tree we are laying against and make our way towards our houses before we miss the reaping. I grabbed (Y/N) 's hand and held it gently as I walked her home. She smiles sweetly and blushes as she tucks (Y/H/C) behind her ear. I smile because I love making my girl blush.