Night Watch In The Arena

Cato's P.O.V

I was in a deep sleep when I heard Thresh knock on (Y/N) and mine's shelter with his metal spear, as I knew he didn't want to come into the shelter. Because he knew I was on high alert, I have been since I almost lost (N/N) in the cornucopia at the beginning of the games. But as I hear the light tap on the right side of the shelter, I hear him say to me,

"You're up for the watch next; I'm headed to sleep. Are you going to be alright, Cato, or do you need me to stay up with you?"

I shake my head and tell him quietly to get some rest. I didn't want to wake her (Y/N) as she was still asleep, and I knew she would be grumpy if she was woken up. I grab my sword and strap it to my waist. I put my combat boots back on and tie them tight. I put my jacket back on, as I knew it would be pretty chilly at this time of night and that I would take the night watch.

I give my girl a sweet, gentle kiss on the right temple; I hear her mumble out my name, and I smirk as I leave the tent and over to the fire, where Thresh had been sitting for hours.

I walk over to the low-burning fire as the embers glow, throw some sticks on it as I don't want the fire to grow too much, and give away our position to anyone who is close to our camp.

As I sat there, I listened to the quiet and stillness of the night. I decided to bide my time by sharpening my sword with the sharpening stone I had got from my backpack and looking it over. As I sat there, I heard a twig snap. That set me even more on edge than I already was. I grabbed my freshly sharpened sword and stealthily walked over to where I heard the noise.

I try to be as quiet as I can be while walking through the dark forest with very heavy boots. I could smell the smoke of burning leaves and branches. I kept myself behind a tree as I made it close to where the camp was.

I could see it was Katniss huddling around a fire, warming her hands. I softly chuckled and breathed a sigh of relief, and I still quietly walked over to her camp as I passed the tree that her back was to.

As I got closer to her, I was met with a notched arrow to the face. I slowly raised my hand, sheathed my sword, and said to her calmly,

"Whoa there, Fire Girl! I'm a friend. I heard a sound and came to investigate. Are you doing alright?"

I asked her as I took notice of her appearance; she looked a bit roughed up. She had a black eye and a cut on her right cheek that was bandaged, and with her black jacket that she wore at the start of the game, I can see she got a few stings from what looked like tracker jackers that were covered with leaves.

She put down her bow and arrows, and Katniss put her arrow back in its quiver and sat back down at the fire. I take a seat across from her on an overturned log, and I keep my sword on my hip in case I need to protect both Katniss and myself, as she is my ally.

She takes a deep breath, and as the glow from the fire illuminates her face, I see she had been crying a bit from the puffiness around her eyes. I wanted to ask her if she was alright, but Katniss stared at me to speak to me.

Sorry, Cato, I must look like a mess. I got into a tussle with Glimmer and Peeta of all people while leaving the cornucopia, and I believe he has fallen completely for her manipulation tactics that Haymich warned him about. Because when I was fighting in the cornucopia, which is how I got my black eye and the cut,"

She pointed to her bandage on her cheek and her left eye, which was puffier than her right one, but she continued her explanation of what happened to her as she took a quick drink from the canteen.

"The boy from 7 cut me with his dagger, and Peeta gave me the black eye and told me to stay away from him. I didn't know if he was telling me because he was playing her as an ally or not. But as he punched me in the eye, I looked over at him. I saw him kiss Glimmer, and not just some chaste kiss for the cameras; I mean, they were going at it. Then they disappeared into the forest; after they did, I took off with our group and told Rue to tell you guys I was leaving but would still be around."