Chapter One: Phone Call

Phone Call

My eyes scanned the room that I just entered, wondering where Jasper could be hiding. It was only supposed to be a simple game of hide-and-seek. One that a human could easily win against a vampire.

"Jasper!" I called out, finding no one in the kitchen and now no one in the living-room. "Come on, I know I said let's play hide-and-seek, but this is just too much. How am I supposed to find a vampire in this giant house!"

Of course, I should've known that he wouldn't take it easy on me. He knew that I would still be equally upset if he did.

Jasper chuckled, telling me that he was closer than I thought. He had to be somewhere in this room and, he seemed to find my emotions to be amusing.

"Stupid vampire," I mumbled, as the front door opened.

Bella and Edward entered together, the pair looking amused.

"Having fun?" Bella asked with a smile and knowing eyes.

I nodded, a wide grin on my face. Edward must've told Bella what was happening inside the house before they entered. He was sure one annoying mind-reading vampire.

"Ain't I always?" I asked, scanning the open space once again. "But this is beyond impossible," I said with a shake of my head.

Sure, I was the one who wanted to play this game. The one who suggested that the loser did one thing that the vampire said.

Stupid vampires, who thought they were better than us humans. Just because they are stronger, had better memories, and were made of some strange substance that made them near impossible to kill didn't mean they were better than us.

"Would you like a hint, Renee?" Edward asked.

I knew he was enjoying my struggle and one of these days I would make the mind-reader pay for invading my privacy. And I'll find a way to make Jasper help me get my revenge.

I smirked at him. I couldn't show the vampire any fear, only confidence.

"Why, of course not." I drawled, staring at him. "What would ever make you think I'd need a hint when it came to finding a vampire who can move almost faster than a human eye?" I folded my hands together and glanced once more around the room. "Just you watch, Eddy. This human will accomplish the impossible! And alone at that!"

Edwards laughter followed after me as I headed for the stairs. I had a feeling that Jasper moved locations once again. And the only place that I haven't checked was upstairs.

Walking up the stairs, I felt my stomach twist into knots, a foreboding feeling filling me. Looking over the railing, towards my sister, I could see that there was nothing wrong with her. But if she wasn't the reason for this strange feeling then who was?

Who else did I share such a strong connection with?

Things had started to get better for me and Bella. No longer was my sister in danger and no longer did I have a strange rouge vampire stalking me. Plus Sam had come to some strange agreement with Jasper that had both parties happy for the moment.

Edward and Bella became more serious about one another, something that our lovely father took notice of and very much disapproved of. I had also grown closer to the vampire family, including a certain male that helped with keeping things simple and easy to understand. Jasper reassured me over and over that his family was different and would always be different from those with the red eyes.

Mike promised to keep what he knew about the Cullens quiet, so long as I didn't up and disappear on him. While I promised that Jasper and his family wouldn't be the cause behind it and that they would protect me with their lives, Mike promised to stop poking around and accept this reality for what it was.